SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Chesapeake Sailor
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife and I just finished a 3-week cruise of the south bay. We visited places that we've never seen and have longed to see for years, and a added few that are such favorites that we had to put them on the itinerary too.

Anyway - here are the ports of call and our purely "gut level" assessment. I'd be interested in other's opinions, or suggestions of what should be visited - next time!

Solomons, MD our home port, love it
Crisfield/Sommers Cove, MD, OK good anchorage and nice marina
Onancock, VA, Gorgeous!
Cape Charles Town Harbor, VA, get past that "industrial look" entrance and you'll find a nice marina and a fine little town. They plan a 44-floating slip addition in 2010. We don't have the draft for Bay Ck, but don't regret it.
Kiptopeke Anchorage, VA, quirky - worth adding to your "been there" list.
Waterside Marina, Norfolk, VA, very-very nice marina for only $1.50/foot, everything you could want including laundry room. Loved Norfolk walked miles of it: ate at a great Brazilian restaurant on Grandby St.
Riverwalk Marina Yorktown, VA, very nice marina, right by Yorktown, free trolley service, days and days of history to take in
Mobjack Bay, VA: spent a night at anchor in each of the 4 rivers; Severn, Ware, North and East, loved each - East was our favorite
Fishing Bay on the Piankatank R. VA, we've been here a number of times usually at anchor this time we tied to the marina pier and took the bicycles to town, great dinner at The Galley
Urbana, VA, gorgeous! Don't sail past this one even if it is 10 miles up the Rappahannock. R.
Indian Ck, off Fleets Bay, VA, great anchorage spots in a very snug little creek with deep (10-12-ft) depths right up to the foliage
Mill Ck, VA This one of the many Chesapeake Mill Creeks is the one just south of the Great Wicomico R., this one was new to us and gets our vote as one of the prettiest creeks on the entire Chesapeake, great anchorages all up and down the creek.

And back to Solomons and dinner at The Pier on Friday the 12th

Wayne

·
ex-Navy
224 Posts
I'd add the Corotoman River off the Rappahannock (stbd heading upriver) beyond Urbanna which is on the other side of the river. A quiet, unspoiled river with lots of coves to anchor in. IMHO one of the most beautiful rivers on the bay

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I'd add the Corotoman River off the Rappahannock (stbd heading upriver) beyond Urbanna which is on the other side of the river. A quiet, unspoiled river with lots of coves to anchor in. IMHO one of the most beautiful rivers on the bay
Actually, the Corotoman is east of Urbanna Creek, just past Carter's Creek (home of the Tides Inn). It's on my bucket list.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,308 Posts
Great timing with your post, we are planning our Southern bay cruise from July 3rd - July 12th

·
Chesapeake Sailor
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yep - I see where your going chef... "they may be listening". You will enjoy any of the stops on my list and hope to hear of some you will add. Have a great cruise.

hunter - I agree completely with your assessment of the Corotoman, we anchored there last year coming north from a DELMARVA loop: beautiful.

woulda: hurry up and get retired and take a month.

Wayne

·
Not just a member
111 Posts
Cruise

Wayne,
Glad you guys had a great cruise! Any more problems with the holding tank ?

·
Chesapeake Sailor
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wayne,
Glad you guys had a great cruise! Any more problems with the holding tank ?
Hi Dan - no more trouble, though the vent didn't seem fully cleared so a couple days after we met I attached a 5/8" hose fitting to the vent hose and (gently at first) applied water pressure to it. That cleaned it thoroughly and the vent whistling sound went away in subsequent pump outs.

Wayne

1 - 8 of 8 Posts