SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to move my boat to Solomon’s Island either this season or next for the sole purpose of a racing program and a cheap slip with fresh water. I’ve found a place where I want to keep the boat. I’ve been looking at joining Southern MD sailing Association for the racing need and have checked their schedule of events, races, cruises, and socials. I wanted to know if someone here has any personal experience with them and if they could tell me weather or not their membership fee was worth it. To me, it doesn’t seem like they give you a lot more than any other YC, but they have a pretty steep start up fee and membership dues.

I’m in email contact with the membership representative now, but I wanted to look for some unbiased info. Thanks for any help.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
I crewed on a boat that raced with SMSA for several years. Since it wasn't my boat I can't speak to the costs. If you check the CBYRA web site you can find links to other racing organizations on the Bay and compare cost.

From a racing point of view I think SMSA does a very good job. Instructions were clear, the race committee did a good job of setting marks and aligning the start, and there was a good mix of round-the-buoys with longer races. The Wednesday night fleet is very active.

I took my boat, along with the skipper of the boat I used to race with, on one of the SMSA cruises. It was a good group of people and the racers were well represented. It was a wonderful chance to get to know the people we were competing with on a more social level. It's very nice to have one group of members instead of a racing group and a cruising group.

The club-house social events are very nice also.

There is a good West Marine, a nice liquor store, and an outstanding local grocery all in the space between Zannheiser's and Hospitality Harbor.

Remember that Screwpile is right there.

All in all I consider it one of the better racing venues on the Bay.

·
Not just a member
111 Posts
Marina

Z,
Check out where I keep my boat. It is on the ST Mary's side of the river just north of the bridge. It is called Placid Harbor / Winpisinger Center
Welcome to Our Facility | The Winpisinger Center
. A slip for your size boat is $125 a month including electric and water.

You need to know someone to get you in, I can help with that.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
There are cheap slips at Solomon's? I'm getting a little more serious thinking about moving my boat closer to home and had planned a trip to check out the marinas around Solomon's among some other areas.

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
motovationcycles, thanks, that place looks really nice. I have found a place a little closer to the bay for the same price and metered electric. Although it doesn't look nearly as nice, it has a great location.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts