SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking it might be useful to have a list of specific problems that are known to plague specific boats.

I'll start out with the one I know about.

Catalina 30 from about 1987 and earlier was built with plywood sandwiched between two layers of fiberglass in the keel stump.
This plywood rots and the keel bolts loosen up.
You can not just tighten the bolts as they have nothing to torque down to.
This shows up as the "Catalina Smile" a crack between the keel stub and the bolted on lead keel that can not be patched successfully.
There is a tech note from Catalina on how to fix it.
It involves digging out plywood and replacing with solid glass and then torquing the keel bolts at best or replacing them if they are corroded.
This is a good thread with pictures:
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/40630-catalina-30-a.html

Please mention the boat and the problem and the fix if you know.
This will be a good resource for folks shopping for a specific brand.

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Someone mentioned a boat that used aluminum tanks. What was that?

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One of the best places to find "issues" with different boats is in Practical Sailor's Used Boat Buyer's Guide. They go through a wide range of builders and designs, generally not witholding any punches.
I just checked that out. Looks like it costs $10 for each review unless you by the books which don't have all the reviews.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.