SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently "solved" a problem with my ST60 speed sensor, and I'd like opinions on whether I have a new problem to solve.

The original problem was that the speed wheel thru hull plug had been jammed in all year, and no pulling force I could exert would get it all the way out. Once the boat was on the hard for winter I felt safer in really pulling, but still nothing. So I gave the plug a wack with the butt end of a hammer handle from outside and out it came with the offending hang up: the backflow preventer sleeve. An O ring on the plug was caught on that stupid plastic valve. The sleeve is now out and the valve part is busted.

Can I just use the thru-hull as is without the backflow preventer? The upper O rings of the speed wheel and plug seal fine. Or do I need to replace the whole thru hull?

·
Bill SV Rangatira
421 Posts
I recently "solved" a problem with my ST60 speed sensor, and I'd like opinions on whether I have a new problem to solve.

The original problem was that the speed wheel thru hull plug had been jammed in all year, and no pulling force I could exert would get it all the way out. Once the boat was on the hard for winter I felt safer in really pulling, but still nothing. So I gave the plug a wack with the butt end of a hammer handle from outside and out it came with the offending hang up: the backflow preventer sleeve. An O ring on the plug was caught on that stupid plastic valve. The sleeve is now out and the valve part is busted.

Can I just use the thru-hull as is without the backflow preventer? The upper O rings of the speed wheel and plug seal fine. Or do I need to replace the whole thru hull?
the replacement valve assemblies are readily available from any airmar tranducer supplier
quite inexpensive and worth doing
if you pull the speed wheel while in the water (frequently done to clear debris)you would have an open hole the valve would prevent this

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
Unless you have a plug to shove in there instead. I had this on my PB, TackTick setup came with the plug, so you pulled the speedwheel with the plug ready (and cr*pping yourself the first time you deliberately open a hole in the bottom of your boat :D ), quick spout of water (maybe a pint) and shove that plug in there.

·
Bill SV Rangatira
421 Posts
Unless you have a plug to shove in there instead. I had this on my PB, TackTick setup came with the plug, so you pulled the speedwheel with the plug ready (and cr*pping yourself the first time you deliberately open a hole in the bottom of your boat :D ), quick spout of water (maybe a pint) and shove that plug in there.
most systems also have the blanking plug option also available from airmar
again $20 or so for valve and blanking plug
they are standard parts so should be available at most chandleries

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.