SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased this boat last week. The boat is in need of cleanup work but is in fairly good shape. I would be interested to know if there is anyone who might could help me obtain an owner''s manual for this boat. My understanding is that Rebel Industries went out of business many years ago, making it impossible to contact the maker. Also any helpful information would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Standing Rigging

Can anybody get me the length of the aft stay. mine was ran over by a lawnmower and I need the length of it for my spindrift 22

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
You mean the backstay? I'd love to hear the story of how it was run over by a lawnmover.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The boat was being stored in an orange grove, and one of the grove tractors rand over the turnbuckle and stay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow, someone else has a spindrift 22! I have been searching high and low, and thus far limited success for any manual,literature available. Jim Taylor still answers emails but had no manuals etc. just scans of sales brochurs. He was the designer way back when they were still in business. The company still does business in Palmetto Florida under Precision Boatworks but dont admit to the old connections with starwind/spindrifts for some reason.

I am green with this posting thing, and I will catch on. sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is anyone still in need of manuals? I recently purchased a Spindrift 22 that came with 'the manuals.' There is not much content.

P.S. Does anybody know where the hose for the bilge pump goes? Mine appears to plugged, but I'm wondering if its because its sitting on the trailer? Idk. I have opened the valve on the port side of the table.

·
Registered
4 Posts
re: owners manual for spindrift 22

I also just bought a Spindrift 22, if you still have the scanned copy in your computer, could you please send it to me also? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
re: owners manual for spindrift 22

Was there any progress on the owners manual for a spindrift 22? I have just about got all the bad fiberglass ground out, and am about ready to start lapping. I will be putting it in the water soon, and the owners manual info may be useful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
re: spindrift 22

I am also in need of help, I bought a Spindrift 22 about 2 months ago, and have been cleaning it up and repairing some fiberglass. Specifically, on the poptop, there is a plastic pad on each side loosely held by 3 rather large machine screws. The forward poptop support tubes contact these pads and the end of these screws when folded down. I suspect there should be a bumper or cradle for the forward support tubes attached to these pads. Could anyone who has a Spindrift 22 please send me a pic of this area so I can rebuild/replace whatever should be there? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
About the spindrift 22

I am looking at purchasing a spindrift 22. have not looked at it yet so i have a few questions about it before i make the commute to check it out. Is it a centerboard? if so does it have any ballast? how does it sail? Displacement? anything else i need to know about. it is a 1984 what would be a reasonable price for one in ok condition? Thank You.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am thrilled to see other Sailing enthusiasts online.
I am considering buying a Spindrift 22 for a local source. The boat need some minor repairs. The man sailing it knows nothing about it. He took it as payment on a debt.

I have not sailed in many years and would like to know something about this model.
I would also like to find any literature on it as well.
If anyone can give me some guidance please do so.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There used to be a "spindrift owners association" online, but it provided little info. I have owned mine 8 years (1986 model), replaced trailer with tandem axle trailer w/brakes, cleaned the sails, painted the outside, replaced lifelines and thats about it. Not much to the boat, shoal keel with swing down centerboard, sails decent, no racer but fun to be on! I sail mostly in the Finger Lakes (NY), Solomons MD, and Key West, the best part of the trailer sailor is going new places! Also as a reference, I bought my Spindrift in 2001 for 3k, it needed a lot of cleaning but no structural repairs, won't any races but if your looking at a spindrift your not looking to race!
try starwinds.com/stw500.html
Good Luck and Happy sailing!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im glad to see there are a lot of Spindrift 22 owners out there, I used to own one myself and sold it a number of years ago and would like to find it again if possible and if nothing else I would like to know its still being used and works. It was an 1984 hull number 227 at the time I owned her she was named Aerial.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts