SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I just joined this forum, but I've been reading and learning from it for quite a while, so I'd like to thank everyone who posts here.

I'm going to start doing long-distance races, and am trying to figure out which tether would be best for me. I already have a Spinlock Deckvest, so I'm looking at either the DW-STR/3L (2 Clip & 1 Link Safety Line) or DW-STR/03 (3 Clip Safety Line). If you have any advice for me, I would be very grateful to hear it, because I am currently stuck, as I am not sure whether the clip or loop harness attachment would be better; neither of these can be detached under load, so I am wondering whether there is some reason to favor one or the other.

Thanks for your time.

·
Not Finished Yet
829 Posts
Personally I would not want to cow-hitch myself to my tether. I would want a quick release buckle. I have a Spinlock Deckvest, but I do not care for their tethers. I like having a quick-release next to me that I can open under load by pulling a release line.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
Same opinion as Rain Dog

I have the bottom one

·
Catalina 400 MKII
818 Posts
I had a bit of trouble understanding your description (sorry). I believe that the YRA Offshore Rules require that the teather has a quick release at the attachment to the harness.

By the way, I use a double saftey hook. I like being able to attach to a new position while still attached to the original attachment point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice, you have all convinced me to select a tether with a quick release on the harness end, but I've been looking at the options, and there seem to be three very similar units.

The West Marine tether costs $169.99 , a similar Kong unit costs around $110 , and the Wichard safety line is $179.95 . Is there any reason to choose one of these over the others, apart from convenience and pricing?

P.S.
To add to the confusion, the ISAF rules recommend, but do not require a quick release on the harness side, while also reminding us that a cutter can free someone trapped on the tether.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,293 Posts
I have the Spinlock and I am not real pleased with it, I think I am going to return it, it was expensive and doesn't have the quick release.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
I'm a contrarian on this issue. I do not like a quick release. For starters, I prefer to focus on tether length and jackline/attachement placement that would not allow me to get to the water at all. Having a 6ft tether, attached to a jackline running down the side deck, one foot from the lifelines, makes no sense to me. It isn't going to keep you out of the water, where you're going to have to untether anyway. Why did you bother tethering?

A razor sharp S-cutter, like found on the Spinlock, is my preference for emergency. I know I'm in the minority. In any case, if I don't think I can reach the water, I prefer not to have even the slightest possibility that the quick release does its job unintentionally.

I will say that I prefer a clip at the vest, rather than a cowhitch. Easier to deal with, particularly if you set up multiple tethers around the boat.

Reactions: bvander66

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
I will say that I prefer a clip at the vest, rather than a cowhitch. Easier to deal with, particularly if you set up multiple tethers around the boat.
That is how I like to set up tethers as well.

·
Swab
825 Posts
Same opinion as Rain Dog

I have the bottom one
So do I. I like the two-hook setup that allows more options in securing myself to the boat while moving around on deck. The only complaints I have are that the long tether sometimes gets in the way when not in use, especially after the elastic gives out, and the anodized alloy snap hooks corrode and jam if not kept clean and lubricated.

The Mate prefers a single tether with a plain strap and SS hooks.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
Make sure to try out the hooks yourself. I find the Spinlock ones terribly difficult to work with one hand but other people love them.
Excellent point. I find the WM clip easy to open with one hand; it still is a double action clip which is essential.

·
BJV
242 Posts
I'm a contrarian on this issue. I do not like a quick release. For starters, I prefer to focus on tether length and jackline/attachement placement that would not allow me to get to the water at all. Having a 6ft tether, attached to a jackline running down the side deck, one foot from the lifelines, makes no sense to me. It isn't going to keep you out of the water, where you're going to have to untether anyway. Why did you bother tethering?

A razor sharp S-cutter, like found on the Spinlock, is my preference for emergency. I know I'm in the minority. In any case, if I don't think I can reach the water, I prefer not to have even the slightest possibility that the quick release does its job unintentionally.

Ditto
if teather/harness/jackline setup is correct you should not hit the water.
also found big chunkof metal at harness end hurts if your teather comes taught all of a sudden.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts