SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Spinlock XT clutch problem

6K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  zz4gta 
#1 ·
I have a Spinlock XT clutch on my 28 foot sailboat. I've been experiencing slippage of the jib halyard (left side of this double clutch) and when I went to inspect it today (the boat is tarped up for winter) I noticed that in fact the cams of both sides of the clutch are not engaging the line.

I took a video that explains the situation better. Sorry for the bad video work. It was dark!

Basically I'm wondering if I need to buy two new cams for this or if the problem is something else?

#2 · (Edited)
#11 ·
Do you use these on Amsteel (or equivalent) or a core dependent line such as Warpspeed?

I have a Warpspeed halyard, and the core slipped out of the cover (which of course snapped) at the Spinlock. I had stitched the cover to the core at the full hoist point, but had not gotten around to it at the reefing point.

But I wonder if the Ronstan constrictor would make any difference? It's still a matter of a slippery load bearing line inside of a weak core.

#8 ·
Stop trying to spend money!!!

End for end the bloody halyard!

Like every other bit of running rigging wherever it touches the case gets smoothed and the core stretched. So where it normally sits on a block under load, or a clutch under load, or some chafe point, you will have a problem that's so easily and free (FREE) to fix. :)
Just end for end your halyard, or any bit of running rigging, and you have given it a new lease of life! :)

Mark

#9 ·
The broken spring you will have to replace, you should be able to order a new part. Mark is correct about reversing your lines end for end. Those teeth really like to eat line and create very fine dust that binds up the movement of internal parts, so get your self a compressor and clean out with high pressure air. Did both of those on a friends boat this summer and they were like brand new.

Peter

#12 ·
I have tapered 5/16" Warpspeed halyards and they are fine. the constrictor holds the line along a 2 foot section and not only at one point. the spinlock pinches the line flat. the constrictor is holding a round line with a round braid. does not stress the line or slip.

#13 ·
IIRC Don't think you can just buy the broken spring but have to buy the whole guts of the clutch. The core replacement was quite pricey, around $60 IIRC. Had one break a spring and found a used replacement on eBay for less than the kit. Found a kit at a consignment store but it didn't fit my clutch. Luckily was able to return it. Know what flavor of clutch you have so you can buy the right kit.

The other clutch, if it doesn't have a broken spring, may just need to lubricated to get the cam to drop on the rope. It's probably a broken or weakened spring that's causing the problem with that one as well.

#14 ·
Thanks. The cam in this clutch is CAM-0608 which I don't think Spinlock sells anymore. The replacement is the 0610 (6-10mm line) but since I want to use 8mm line I'd rather use a 0608 module.

My halyards right now are polyester double braid and I want to switch to dyneema core with poly cover, which is where this whole process began because then I started reading about clutch slippage and I thought "why bother spending hundreds of dollars on expensive line if the clutches just slip anyway?"

I've heard that Spinlock clutches are generally worse and in particular New England brand ropes for holding power. I have all spinlock clutches (three XA and one XT). The Ronstan constrictor clutch clearly holds perfectly but it's expensive and also takes up more deck space so I'm not sold on that.

I have tried lubricating the side of the clutch with the apparently intact spring and it made no difference unfortunately.

#18 · (Edited)
looks like you too are experiencing the mickey mouse spring that is designed so well that it self destructs. no the lanyards are not in the way they are only about 3 " long when you release the constrictor. when the constrictor is holding the halyard they are about 1" long

You can tie the release ball very close to the clutch

#19 ·
I rebuilt the clutch with the repaired cam on the one side and it works fine. Let's see how long the spring lasts...

Still need to buy a new cam for the other side though.

The Constrictor clutch looks great but I'll try this cheaper fix for now and see how it does.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.