SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a year ago I installed a roller furler. The spinnaker bail was in the way. I heated it up with a touch and bent it up for clearance. All was good... Not so much after a few trips out using the asymmetric it bent back down. I would like to bend it back up but feel it needs additional support. Any ideas. I'm tempted to bend it back up then run a piece of dyneema over the top of the mast head and looping it around the mast so the down force might be spread out more or at least it would have to pull down across the top of the mast. Suggestions please.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Looks like you need a new bail. Perhaps add a flat SS piece across the bop of the mast that projects further than the one there now, to provide more support, and so the bail won't need to be bent. Then weld a heftier bail to it. The one that's there is obviously not strong enough in any case. Trying to prop it up with dyneema is like wrapping duct tape around a broken chainplate and thinking it will last more than five minutes.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Agree with Paul. And if that is the top of your furler (CDI?) it's going to be pretty close to the spinny halyard. Be sure that the bail really puts the block out there so the furler can't snag the halyard even if it is moving around a bit. Is your jib set up a little bit above the deck? the whole thing might work better if the furler unit were below the spin block instead of behind it/next to it. Having the jib at the bottom with a short pendant above the furler could do this.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I am not a metal ergest or whatever they are called but when you bend something it loses strength. Bend it a few times and it may snap off. I like the others that have replied, replace it. It will be cheap compared to your sail blowing over the front of the boat and running over it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts