SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a spinnaker for my Dinghy but it has become apparent to me that I will never probably find an original or find out what size it was. Spinnakers seem to be between 60% to 80% of sail area of dinghy's. A Blue jay at 56sq/ft or a Mirror at 47sq/ft seem to be the closest but are still hard to find. I can get a new Fj spinnaker at 80sq/ft for $200. Would it work to cut it to about 45sq/ft for my 65sq/ft Mac dinghy?

·
Registered
898 Posts
The typical spinnaker has a luff length such the luff can be taut when the pole is lowered. The pole length is typically the same as the distance from the mast to the stem. Girth, and perhaps the foot length is normally around 185% of the pole length. The shoulders can be as broad as the 185% but the sail often becomes unstable.

Spinnakers can be cut down by removing rectangular panels horizontally. Making them narrower is more difficult.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks aloof
I bought a 4' to 8' twist lock whisker pole to use as a spinnaker pole. I think I'll just keep searching for a mirror spinnaker since I know it will fly right on my dinghy which is about the length and width of a mirror. I can get a sailright kit for a mirror spinnaker and copy the panels which maybe the way to go since I will need 3 spinnakers for mine/daughter's , niece's and baby sister's mac dinghy once they accuse me of cheating after the first down wind leg I fly one!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.