SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Old as Dirt!
3,491 Posts
Kraken (Beneteau 36.7, roughly 900sq ft spinnaker) came equiped with a foreguy rigged between a bridle and blocks mid foredeck.

Unless you are doing end-for-end gybes of that pole, and on a 36.7 I find that very unlikely, ditch the bridle and use the foreguy rigged from the pad-eye just aft of the headstay to the outboad end fitting on the underside of the pole. It will make your life easier and it is much more efficient in use. BTDT...

·
Old as Dirt!
3,491 Posts
Very unlikely to used end-for-end because of size of pole? As I mentioned earlier we've switched back to end-for-end, trying to improve our gybes in general and initially things seem better with them, the the pole off the working guy and it's unloaded, switch it to a lazy guy then adjust lines to get it working on the new side. So far seems easier both crewed and single handed.

Despite being carbon the pole is still pretty unwieldy but seems doable so far. I'm not sure I'd want to do it with anything larger, or heavier.
Ah. I did not notice your follow-up to your initial posting and assumed you were using the OEM spinnaker pole. Never-the-less, even with CF, I suspect that pole is awkward to deal with and, I for one, wouldn't care to be in a situation where I had that pole disconnected from the mast save in a very calm sea. That said, for your use you might find a folding pad-eye along the centerline at the middle of the foredeck for the foreguy makes your life a bit easier although it will need a good backing plate.

N'any case, good luck. You've a good, handsome, yacht....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.