SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
19,484 Posts
The 'downhaul' setup you describe has the advantage of not needing adjustment for pole fore/aft as you've noted.. and it also works well with on-the-boom pole storage setups.

What it doesn't do so well is immobilize the pole end, as you've noted, esp in allowing the pole jaw to slide aft on the guy on occasion, destabilizing the tack.

The easiest fix to prompt the pole to stay at the end of the guy is to twing the guy down to the deck edge amidships.. this forces the pole out to the end of the guy. This is a relatively simple bit of rigging, and easy to use, simply release upon gybing and set/twing the 'new' guy.

Laser 28s have always used the mast pinned 'downhaul'.. and twingers.

·
19,484 Posts
Running afterguys from deck level amidships would/should function the same as twinging a single set of sheets/guys. Are you end-for-end gybing? If so getting rid of double sheets/guys and using twings might clean things up a bit... You are getting towards the upper end size-wise for end for end poles though...

·
19,484 Posts
Trying dip-pole gybes without a dip-pole 'pole' isn't going to be as smooth.. I get the advantage of gybing the larger end-for-end pole unloaded by using double sheets/guys. Not sure why you're having the issue if in fact your active 'afterguys' are down at deck level amidships.. should behave same as twings, seems to me...

Whether or not you're rubbing on stanchions depends on the turning block placement, I'd think.. one of the negatives of the newer 'Firsts' is the departure from the slotted toerail, esp in these situations..

When we had a boat with a dip pole setup we definitely needed an extra body or two on hand! One at the bow and another at the mast controlling the pole end heights.

We've put a lot of miles on a 36.7 in the Caribbean, but only one opportunity to fly a kite.. a rare more-or-less DDW run from Antigua to Nevis. Love how these boats move!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.