SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
Reaction score
What's your guess for a pole length flying a 150 (on a 31' boat). Rascals are pricey! :eek:
Do you have a 150%, or something smaller? A popular size for a roller furling genoa is 130-135%, and a J length pole works reasonably well for that.

A topping lift is helpful to prevent the pole from weighing down the sail too much, but a downhaul isn't really necessary.

A whisker pole will be lighter and can be adjusted to fit and takes up less deck space, but since you already have the spinnaker pole I'd try that first.

· no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
Reaction score
I have a 100% (on now) and a 150 due back from Doyle any day now. My pole is 12', and I have all spinnaker lines and tackle on the boat. Just because I want to try it, I think I'll leave the 100 on for a bit and try out the existing pole. I'm also thinking about getting brave and try the spinnaker when I take along a couple extra able bodies. :eek:
You might find that the pole is too long for a 100% jib. Since it attaches at the mast, and not at the forestay, the pole length for holding out the jib is not equal to the LP (or foot) of the sail. It is close, just not the same. It is good to try it and see though.

You should also try the spinnaker. I'd recommend doing it on a light air day with at least 3 sailors onboard. It is best if any one of them have flown a spinnaker before.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.