SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
712 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My Allmand 31 came with this "monster" spinnaker pole that I took home cause I said "I'll never use this thing". But after some light air sailing this past weekend and fighting to keep "wing and wing" flying, I'm having second thoughts about taking it back to the boat.

I've watched several You Tube videos and see every combination possible for rigging. I can surmise that I need an uphaul, a downhaul and a pole guy. Is that enough? Too much? I watched a video where the guy had yet another line from the clew of the genoa back to a winch.

Suggestions for this novice pole user? Thanks.

Dave

· Registered
712 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Typically spinnaker poles are too short to pole out a '150' genoa.. it will 'work' but won't be ideal. An extendable whisker pole is a better idea. Spinn poles tend to be heavier too. I wouldn't expect you need the downhaul/uphaul rigged to use as a whisker pole - unless the pole is simply to heavy to be supported by the sail itself.
What's your guess for a pole length flying a 150 (on a 31' boat). Rascals are pricey! :eek:

· Registered
712 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Alex,

I have a 100% (on now) and a 150 due back from Doyle any day now. My pole is 12', and I have all spinnaker lines and tackle on the boat. Just because I want to try it, I think I'll leave the 100 on for a bit and try out the existing pole. I'm also thinking about getting brave and try the spinnaker when I take along a couple extra able bodies. :eek:

Dave

· Registered
712 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
C'mon, moster pole on an Almond 31? Lift it with the topping lift, rig a foreguy and use the sheet as an after guy. It's really not that hard.

If you want to rig an independent after guy you can roll the genny and leave the pole up and rigged.
Well it was a monster when I first saw it. This 31 is the largest sailboat I've ever been aboard. OK, after looking at it tonight (it's here at the house), it's pretty little compared to yours and not as big as I remember it from 8 months ago. It's 12' and 2 1/2" diameter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.