SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the correct board for this, but I'm looking for a (used?) spinnaker pole for my 27' Hunter.

I was recently gifted an older symmetrical spinnaker, still in good shape (wasn't used much), with nothing more then the turtle bag.

I don't race the boat (against other boats, I'm always racing against myself as I'm sure we all do), and I'm not worried about a few extra pounds here or there so I don't need a pricey carbon fiber pole to cut weight (but wouldn't say no to a cheap one).

Not looking to spend a ton of $ here (West Marine quoted me poles in the $1,500 range...)

I live on western Long Island Sound on the Connecticut side, but can easily get to about anywhere around this area, including Long Island, to pick it up.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I bet that you can find a marine consignment shop or used parts dealer nearby. Probably best to be able to pick it up as anything over 6' long will likely be expensive to ship. A quick Google of "marine consignment long island" resulted in one in Hartford and one in Hampton.

·
Registered
996 Posts
If you want to go cheap, make one out of bamboo. If you're not racing, you won't be using it in weather it can't handle, and a pole of 2" diameter can handle a lot.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 16 foot long 4 inch dia aluminum pole that I'll let go for a song.... but it's a bit far from Long Island and it's a bit too big for your boat.

:):):):):)

I could always cut it down, but shipping would still suck, that would have to go freight :(

I'll do some digging for consignment stores, but in the mean time, Has anyone here ever actually used a bamboo pole? that sounds a little iffy to me.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Registered
198 Posts
This product description appears to be a reaching strut and not a spinnaker pole. If so, this is not what you want. May be worth a call - the website is a little "lacking" in some areas.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Probably too small (short). Your cheapest route would be to find a used pole that might be a bit long and cut it down to size. Do you know what length you need? And what about the rest of the gear- pole topping lift, spinnaker halyard, guys, etc.?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts