SailNet Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
What is the luff length of the spinnaker? What is the length of your forestay?

·
19,488 Posts
There is likely a big difference between rig heights, so this sail may well be too big (tall) for your boat.. which boats specifically? As Alex alluded to, rig dimensions are more important that boat length.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
comes do to how high the spinnaker hoist is on the two boats. fractional 26' to 30' masthead will not work. 26' mast head to 3/4 rig 30 footer it might. forestay length will not mean as much as height of the spinnaker hoist. Will most likely need an extended length pole as the sail will be a lot to wide for your boat.

·
19,488 Posts
The sail is for a 37x12.3 foretriangle, yours is 34x11.9.

Not a huge difference regarding the pole length (4-5 inches) so you'll probably get away with that.. but the 3 foot extra luff is going to mean carrying the pole rather low to absorb that height.

For the right price it's probably worth a try. Do you have a fixed mast ring for the pole or an adjustable ring on a track? How long/low is the track on the mast?

·
s/v Ubiquitous
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The ring is on a tract that is about 5 foot in length if I remember. I know it has a bit of travel. I guess the only way to really know is to string it up. How far off the waterline is too low. I am assuming deck height.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
The Foot size is a little bit of an issue, but doable, the three foot too tall could be a real issue. I don't know your boat very well, but from the pictures it looks like the spin pole is carried a little below shoulder height, drop that another three foot and you need to have the pole at knee height. Even if you can get it to fly, trying to jibe a pole that low is very tricky, and you may have an issue that the pole needs to be so low that it can get inside the forestay.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
It depends on the construction of the sail. Tri cut sails are much more difficult than crosscut, but either can be done.

·
19,488 Posts
It depends on the construction of the sail. Tri cut sails are much more difficult than crosscut, but either can be done.
A triradial spinn could be shortened in the mid panels.., or the top and bottom of the radials.. - I'd think removing one of the central panels would do in this case, at least get you a lot closer to a decent fit.

And certainly a sailmaker can do that for you.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Bill, I would think chopping off one panel might be enough, but I wouldn't do anything until you compare luff lengths of your existing spinnaker with the new one. Then I'd take it to a sailmaker and have them do the work. Sewing on the new foot tape would probably not cost much more than $100, if that.

·
Registered
2008 Jeanneau 39i S/V Grace
786 Posts
FYI, some Cal 2-30s were mashead rigged. Mine is, and the forestay is 39' 8.5".

·
Senior Smart Aleck
2,152 Posts
There is an easy way to discover the answer to your question: try flying it.

You can fly a much larger spinnaker, either symmetrical or asymmetrical than the racing rules allow. Let your experience determine the size you can fly, not arbitrary racing rules. If you examine older photos of boats flying spinnakers, you will see spinnaker poles much longer than the "J" measurement, luffs much longer than "I" + 10%, and a foot longer than 1.5/1.8 x J. Go for it (as long as you are not racing in violation of the rules or assigned rating without a penalty)!

·
s/v Ubiquitous
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like your answer best. Looks like this coming weekend we may get out, If the winds are light (as they usually are in the morning) I will haul her up and take some pics while i'm at it. Thanks for all the good information everyone!

There is an easy way to discover the answer to your question: try flying it.

You can fly a much larger spinnaker, either symmetrical or asymmetrical than the racing rules allow. Let your experience determine the size you can fly, not arbitrary racing rules. If you examine older photos of boats flying spinnakers, you will see spinnaker poles much longer than the "J" measurement, luffs much longer than "I" + 10%, and a foot longer than 1.5/1.8 x J. Go for it (as long as you are not racing in violation of the rules or assigned rating without a penalty)!

·
19,488 Posts
James' points are well taken... and why I asked how long/low your spinnaker pole car track was.. You can fly an overheight symmetrical by carrying the pole lower.. but it will make gybing a bit more problematic, and you may be limited, of course, by the height of your lifelines as well.

If not racing, then any 'penalties' are not an issue, it's simply a matter of whether or not you can keep things flying.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts