SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
OUPV 25 Ton
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rigging my spinnaker and was wondering how long and what diameter my spin sheet lengths should be approximately on a Cal 34
Thanks

·
Registered
488 Posts
One and a half times boat length and a diameter that is comfortable to the hand. I use 3/8" New England VPC. It is a vectran core and polyester cover.

·
OUPV 25 Ton
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some one told me twice the boat length plus 10ft. 78 ft seems like a lot but I don't want to come up short.

·
19,485 Posts
What type of spinnaker?? if you're planning on 'outside gybing' an Asymmetrical 1 1/2 boatlengths might not do it.

If you plan to douse the spinnaker into the cockpit with control then measure from the back end of the cabin, back through the aft turning block, forward around the boat outside all standing rigging, back to the cockpit and add 10 feet. That way you can douse, and later reset without having to re-run the sheets all over again.

Reactions: CaptainRahnn

·
OUPV 25 Ton
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What type of spinnaker?? if you're planning on 'outside gybing' an Asymmetrical 1 1/2 boatlengths might not do it.

If you plan to douse the spinnaker into the cockpit with control then measure from the back end of the cabin, back through the aft turning block, forward around the boat outside all standing rigging, back to the cockpit and add 10 feet. That way you can douse, and later reset without having to re-run the sheets all over again.
Symmetrical,.... dousing will depend on the situation. I would like the option to douse in the cockpit if necessary.
Thanks

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
!.5 times per length should work. I use about 3.5 times for AS sheets doing outside gybes tied in the middle. I also use as small and light wt sheets as I can get away with. So during really light wind days, ie under 5 the spin will fly. My 3/8' sheets were horrible for those days. where as the 3/16" one work great. THey are with in 400 lbs of breaking strength of the 3/8" ones, ie a bit lighter.....but work fine in winds upwards of 15-20 knots. Altho in these winds, the 3/8 are nicer from a hand point of handling.

Marty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts