SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
12,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went in the water today. Many projects to work on before our trip to Mystic in july but being in the water doing them means all is right with the world again..**:**)

Dave

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
Certainly makes a difference, doesn't it?

·
Somewhat Senior Member
619 Posts
Congrats on being wet... i'm still a couple weeks away if the weather will cooperate. Want to refinish my toerail before launch. Probably wouldn't be so important to me if I'd learned to walk on water. Figure refinishing is easier on a ladder than any other way. Just give me a couple of good weekends and I'll be in my slip.

Does feel good though, sat in a friends cockpit last weekend sharing a drink after he was launched. Sure felt nice to feel the boat move.

Good On Ya!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Chef, you are making me jealous. I still have to paint the bottom but I can't do that yet due to helping my 76 year old father move from a house into a condo. 10 yards of dumpster, 3 vans of give aways and we still aren't there yet,

·
Aeolus II
670 Posts
Way to go! I am in the process of scheduling a haul out and return. Now that you are free you are welcome to come give me a hand ;-)

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Congrats Chef2sail... Having the boat back in the water is a good thing. :)

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I went in the water 2 weeks ago, but I'd asked the rigger to look over my rig and he found some fairly major problems that were just resolved yesterday. The sailmaker is probably aboard, bending on the new sails as I write this. I'll be going down tonight or early in the AM, so see how she looks. I still have a lot of small projects I'd hoped to have done by now but nothing that will keep us from using the boat.

I guess the first few years with a new used boat are like this until you get her set up like you want.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
New or new to you... it's all the same... what non-sailors don't seem to understand is that a brand new boat, fresh from the showroom, is rarely ready to go.

I went in the water 2 weeks ago, but I'd asked the rigger to look over my rig and he found some fairly major problems that were just resolved yesterday. The sailmaker is probably aboard, bending on the new sails as I write this. I'll be going down tonight or early in the AM, so see how she looks. I still have a lot of small projects I'd hoped to have done by now but nothing that will keep us from using the boat.

I guess the first few years with a new used boat are like this until you get her set up like you want.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Chef2sail- If your coming up here in July be sure to PM me. Happy to hoist a few with you and your crew.

Dave

·
October Moon B43
400 Posts
Dog, you're right on the money with the new boat comment. We splashed a couple of weeks ago. Even when we were still on the hard we were spending money and time modifying her to our likes. Bedding, TV, lines racks, extra fenders, cabin fans and on and on. Not to mention the little things the yard had to fix. More work than I remembered with the last boat. The good thing is we got to sail her for the first time last week and while it didn't last long it was a lot of fun. The dealer has taken care of everything and we're moving her to her permanent home in Baltimore next weekend. Then we'll be cruising on weekends and vacations. We can't wait!
Mike

·
Aeolus II
670 Posts
Due to a small weather delay (it's been monsoon season here on the Chesapeake this last week), I splash on Friday!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Practical Sailor

Dwayne Speer mentionned the test in Practical Sailor.

Before I can get wet, I have to refinish my brightwork. Would anybody know where I can find the results of this 6 month test?

Thanks.

Wil

Quote:
Practical Sailor just published their results from a 6 month test of lots of oils and varnishes on deck. Surprisingly, one of the best was Ace Hardware Gloss Spar Varnish and, of course, it's a lot less expensive that stuff you get at a marine store. AND a great advantage for many of us is that multiple coats can be applied over a weekend as the recoat time is only 4 hours.

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Wil—

You really should start your own thread instead of hijacking this one. Welcome to Sailnet. I'd also highly recommend you read this POST to help you get the most out of sailnet.

Dwayne Speer mentionned the test in Practical Sailor.

Before I can get wet, I have to refinish my brightwork. Would anybody know where I can find the results of this 6 month test?

Thanks.

Wil

Quote:
Practical Sailor just published their results from a 6 month test of lots of oils and varnishes on deck. Surprisingly, one of the best was Ace Hardware Gloss Spar Varnish and, of course, it's a lot less expensive that stuff you get at a marine store. AND a great advantage for many of us is that multiple coats can be applied over a weekend as the recoat time is only 4 hours.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Due to a small weather delay (it's been monsoon season here on the Chesapeake this last week), I splash on Friday!
Yes, it certainly has, and I'm just holding my breath the pattern will break for the weekend. We're in the water and ready to go for our first overnighter and have guests planning to come down to spend Friday and Saturday nights with us.

Right now it looks like the monsoon pattern may extend through the weekend but I'm hoping we'll catch a break.

·
October Moon B43
400 Posts
Saturday is still looking iffy but Sunday is forecast to be a sunny 70 with
10+kts of wind out of the NNW. We're making the run down to Baltimore from Riverside, NJ so I hope they're right. Doing it two days with another Benny. Sunday could be fun.
Mike

·
Tartan 37C
501 Posts
We went in April 8th, have had a few "day sails", including a amazing day last Tuesday (20-25 kts & 90 degs). But for now this monsoon has put a damper on things, thinking on going out solo on Friday then again on Sunday with the Admiral.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts