SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On the beach for too long now. crawling back to the surf. was a lake sailor originally on an old German Knarr, and some one design racing on J-24's. did some coastwise sailing on monohulls in the Gulf of Mexico. Pensacola to Isla Mujeras x 2. Happenstance meeting with my wanderlusting mentor, J Franklin Ramsay III, and the resulting expedition to visit the most primitive culture in the Caribbean, the Cuna in San Blas. Frank was quite a captain and shipmate. An aeronautical engineer who had worked on the Apollo Mission, and having travelled the road from Hong Kong to Prague, across the Himalayas, visited aborigini pygmies in Borneo, all on a Jawa 250; he had his eyes set on sailing and proceeded to build (himself, in his yard) a hard chine, steel ketch named the Libertad, out of (Shelter Island )San Diego, CA. Long story short his wife was pregnant and they had an infant, so I was invited to be crew. Lucky me. I have a sea story for every day and yes, it was 99% ecstacy and maybe 1% sheer terror. 3/4 stainless steel rigging, 25K lb lead keel, GMC 150 hp, lister one banger, compass, time piece, sextant. WWV. am radio, vhf, dinghy with oars. 12 knots Martinique to Aruba...beautiful sailing. btw. Panama Canal, Quito, Galapagos, Puerto Angel, Acapulco, manzanillo, cabo then back to SD. I'm skipping the 1% but it was in the gulf of Tehuantapec.

Became a stink boat AB, mate and captain during last gasps of oil & gas . Offshore tugs out of the Port Fouchon. Nolty Theriot, the north sea ocean and GOM tugs company. met a woman on the beach while I was off for two weeks and here i am 30 years later ready to set up my end game. Have three 20 something sail ready kids, 2 Bostons and my Panama Canal Club ( Colon) t shirt from 1979.

I am In the process of selling the brick and mortar and making a 50" catamaran purchase ( I used to want a Swan) for my return to the blue water and the Baths, anegada passage and baie de st jean, and Just saw Jimmy Buffett at Jazz Fest and we talked abt cheeseburger in paradise in Gustavia.

I am looking for a used performance cat in the 48-52" range, owner layout, 4 Dberths, 2 heads, daggerboards to make way ( long term, I know Ill be in the trades across the spanish main) I want to sail the route from, VI,St barts, Guadeloupe, Martinique, St Lucia, the Grenadines, Isla margarita, BonAir and Aruba, then San Blas, Panama, San Andreas and then Grand cayman, where I have a house and anchorage available on Gun Bay ( The bright copper roof) . Whats the sailing like in the western caribbean ? panama to San Andreas and then NE. Is it a beat the whole way? i'm leaving 6 mos ` 1 year for that route. leaving this November or 2015. would like to take posession in the caribbean and go from there. What is the beat purchase process to save on taxes, in Int'l waters ? :}

Ok going to browse more cats . Catana, Outremer, Sud Composites, and Dolphin. any other reccomendations will be rewarded with drinks at the Last Resort......

·
Barquito
3,756 Posts
Wow. Welcome to Sailnet Pelicano! Cruise the subforums for a good place to post questions. I am sure you will also be able to provide lots of good information to newer sailors, from your experiences.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts