SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any "tips" on splicing 1/2" Sta Set X line? I''ve downloaded the instructions from the NE Ropes website but working the unifid through the cover from "c" to "b" and having the core stay attached to the fid takes about 1/2hr and lots of straining. Plus the instructions in Step 6 are not all that clear to me. At $1.39 per ft I''ve gone thru about $20 of rope. Their must be an easier way!

·
Registered
25 Posts
js,
The answer is electrical tape. You can create a fid from the tape by combing out the core and feathering the strands and then wrapping tape tightly around the core. Fit this into the end of your fid and milk it through. Take the tape off, and finish the splice.
Tom S.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I too had the same problem. I now use a short piece of coathanger wire instead of a fid. Wrap the core tightly around a hook in the end of the wire and carefuly pass it through the cover. In step 6 each "V" in the cover is a "Pic" - this means you want to cut all but about 3" off at an angle and tape it tightly. Keep trying, you''ll get the hang of it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts