SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

bell ringer
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Making plans to replace my shaft seal in "near" future. The last time I did this about 8-9 years ago I reused the solid shaft coupling. But this time I think I will replace with a new one and am thinking of using a split coupling. Looking at the photos it doesn't look that the shaft set screw location on the spit coupling is anywhere close to being the same as the current solid one. Is this a problem or do I need to plan on drilling a dimple on the shaft to match?? Or does tightening the split coupling replace the need for the reverse set screw?

My other issue with this is that the shaft can not be removed without dropping the rubber. That is a massive bag of worms to open and I am not planning on doing that unless something forces me.

Registered
Making plans to replace my shaft seal in "near" future. The last time I did this about 8-9 years ago I reused the solid shaft coupling. But this time I think I will replace with a new one and am thinking of using a split coupling. Looking at the photos it doesn't look that the shaft set screw location on the spit coupling is anywhere close to being the same as the current solid one. Is this a problem or do I need to plan on drilling a dimple on the shaft to match?? Or does tightening the split coupling replace the need for the reverse set screw?

My other issue with this is that the shaft can not be removed without dropping the rubber. That is a massive bag of worms to open and I am not planning on doing that unless something forces me.
would think the keyway is more important. set screw does not hold that much

bell ringer
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
only if you want the shaft to stay installed in reverse

bell ringer
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
maybe I asked this in wrong place, normally people are more chatty

Registered
When I repowered my Morgan OI I replaced the shaft flange with a split flange and in my rush to get everything back together that first season I forgot to install the set screw. Had no negative effect. When you install the split flange, key and then tighten the bolts on the sides of the split flange, that shaft isn't going anywhere. add to that when I did install the set screw it bit into the shaft at a different place than the original dimple from the previous flange. seems to make no difference either., just make sure everything is good and tight and should be fine.

bell ringer
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is what I just found and that the set screw is not needed on the split coupling. This makes sense that the clamping of the split is at least as good as just a set screw in a dimple.

bell ringer
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
damn, now I read a comment from the same expert that said that the clamping was enough saying that the set screw is needed and the shaft needs a dimple.

bell ringer
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
there is that and it crossed my mind

1 - 9 of 9 Posts