SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Lengthwise or side to side?
You beat me to it. :) But to the OP's question, it all depends on the person whom you're splitting it with (I assume you're asking about joint ownership and not physically splitting the boat). Even if it's a good friend, I would suggest writing down the agreed upon terms of the 'split' so that there's no misunderstanding down the road in terms of who's responsible for what (maintenance and repairs), who gets use of the boat when, where the boat will be stored, etc. You should factor in the sailing experience of the other individual as well -- if they damage something on the boat, who is responsible? What if they damage someone else's property? Will the boat be insured? Under whose name? If the other partner runs the engine without oil, hits another boat, runs hard aground, etc. -- who's responsible? Failing to address this all in advance could/will make it a bad experience and ruin not only the experience you have owning the boat, but also the friendship. If it's not with a friend or extended family member, I would suggest a more formal contract (with signatures).

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
We bought our J/36 with partners in 1999 and continue to enjoy splitting the costs and work with them. There's no way anyone has enough free weekends to make buying a boat "cost efffective", so we divvy those up at the start of the season, rotating holidays and vacation periods between us each year. We also share some days, since the boat is big enough for all of us. Our trick was to find people whom we liked, and who have complementary skills. I focus on the sails and rigging, carpentry and brushwork. He does the electronics and engine. Our agreement calls for joint approval of purchases over a certain amount, (such as new sails and other accoutrements, and for splitting routine costs for storage, layup, and maintenance. We have a written "letter of understanding", that we all abide by without signatures. It does outline how the partnership might be dissolved should one or the other of us move on, but since the investment hasn't been huge, we haven't worried much about that yet. We get along well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
under the rub rail there is a seam where the top molded half and the bottom molded half are stapled together. I need to get to under the cockpit. The paint has flaked off due to water damage.

·
Registered
520 Posts
under the rub rail there is a seam where the top molded half and the bottom molded half are stapled together. I need to get to under the cockpit. The paint has flaked off due to water damage.
Your original question wasn't very clear. Is the hull/deck joint leaking? This sounds like it could fast become a 'high investment/low yield' project. Pictures would help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts