SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a non-ionized aluminum mast, which has some areas where the paint has worn off and also has spots of galvanic corrosion. However, on the majority of the mast the paint is in OK condition. I know Awlgrip paint (its currently painted with Awlgrip) requires extensive priming in order to stick effectively, but is it possible to just prime and paint some areas of the mast without repainting the whole thing? I would like to hear some views on this.
Thanks,
Matt

·
19,489 Posts
While an awlgrip finish is said to be difficult to repair, I believe that that means it's tough to retouch/repair in a way that is not apparent once it's been done.

We touched up some dock rash and the odd transom nick after an awlgrip job, you could see it alright, but it looked better than the original scar. I just used the paint, activator and a foam brush.. no reducer.

I think you could sand out the damaged area, do a vinegar wash on your "non-anodized" (ionized??) and repaint the area after re-priming... it won't look like it never happened, but probably better than what you're looking at now...

The tough part will probably getting the small amount of paint you'll need.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While an awlgrip finish is said to be difficult to repair, I believe that that means it's tough to retouch/repair in a way that is not apparent once it's been done.

We touched up some dock rash and the odd transom nick after an awlgrip job, you could see it alright, but it looked better than the original scar. I just used the paint, activator and a foam brush.. no reducer.

I think you could sand out the damaged area, do a vinegar wash on your "non-anodized" (ionized??) and repaint the area after re-priming... it won't look like it never happened, but probably better than what you're looking at now...

The tough part will probably getting the small amount of paint you'll need.
Yes, sorry, non-anodized.

I'm not worried that much about the paint matching. I just want to stop the current corrosion and prevent new corrosion from taking hold. How did the paint hold up with your repair?

·
Special Delivery
661 Posts
For little scratches and nicks, Awlgrip sells "nail polish" containers of matching paint like you ould buy to fix scratches on your car.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For little scratches and nicks, Awlgrip sells "nail polish" containers of matching paint like you ould buy to fix scratches on your car.
Unfortunately the areas I need to paint are a bit too big for something like that.

·
Registered
695 Posts
The Awlgrip site details just about every option including touching up smaller sections. It should be no problem but check there for details. Some 545 primer and top coat and you should be fine.

Good Luck

Gary

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Awlgrip site details just about every option including touching up smaller sections. It should be no problem but check there for details. Some 545 primer and top coat and you should be fine.

Good Luck

Gary
Thanks, I'll check it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts