SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my OEM spreaders on account of faulty, cast aluminum spreader brackets. OEM parts are no longer available. I have a choice between replacement spreaders that are supported by an internal spreader bar (which passes through the mast), and replacement spreaders that are supported by brackets (which are, in turn, supported by a single compression sleeve within the mast).

Any opinions on which set-up is more durable and trustworthy?

Thanks,
Roscoe

Ericson 25
Charleston, SC

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
I need to replace my OEM spreaders on account of faulty, cast aluminum spreader brackets. OEM parts are no longer available. I have a choice between replacement spreaders that are supported by an internal spreader bar (which passes through the mast), and replacement spreaders that are supported by brackets (which are, in turn, supported by a single compression sleeve within the mast).

Any opinions on which set-up is more durable and trustworthy?

Thanks,
Roscoe

Ericson 25
Charleston, SC
Since either arrangement has something that must pass through the mast, in the same situation I'd use whichever had the fewest number of fasteners which is likely the bar. The bar will also make it somewhat easier to property orient the spreaders.

FWIW...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts