SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I have a 1983 22' Macgregor and it seems that the
spreaders have moved out of place. I bought new factory aluminun end to put in the spreaders.
Could anyone tell me what the measurement would be from the top of the mast to the spreader end.
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I've never known anyone to measure that distance, and I've never seen that measurement listed among the technical specifications for any boat. That leads me to believe that it's not generally considered critical. If it was, that information would be readily available.

The general rule is that the spreader should bisect the shroud at equal angles (above and below). Most casual cruisers don't really pay much attention to the spreader angle. They eyeball it and they seem to get by. Racers and blue water sailors are understandably more attentive to such details.

Your choices are to either measure those angles carefully, or eyeball them. For many boats, the spreaders don't have much range of movement, so, if you adjust them in about the middle of that range of movement, they'll probably be close enough for the purposes of most casual cruisers. If you prefer to measure the angles, that's even better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Excellent, yes, thought I'd just go with where the general indent in the shrouds is, and hope for the best. Thanks so much for the quick reply.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts