SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get up early, my wife sleeps later. Is there a good cure for the squeaks and creaks the sole/engine hatches make when I walk over them? I was thinking maybe candle wax.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
If they're squeaking, it is usually because they're moving... you should check to see if you can shim them so they don't move before trying to wax them.

·
Registered
928 Posts
In the house the cure is baby powder.

·
Old Fart
514 Posts
They are squeaking because they are moving as SD said. What happens is a little bit of grit from the sole works itself into the cracks and that starts the squeak with any little bit of movement. A cure is to stop them from moving but that can be almost impossible. Another cure is to clean the edges well and even sand them a bit and oil them with baby oil or some other good oil. Baby oil is suggested because it's cheap and clean as well as smells good.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
If your cabin floorboards are removable, they should have some lockdown mechanism anyways... so locking them down so they don't move would stop the squeaking problem more likely than not. If they're actually hatches, check the dogs and see if they can be adjusted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.