SailNet Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in learning about SSB. I have searched and read all I can but I have trouble understanding what is said. Can anyone recommend a book or web sight that can explain things in simple terms, maybe SSB for dummies? Thanks for your help.

David

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Read some of the websites found here

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
I see Cam remembered my tinyurl.com trick.:)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
You might try some of the books available through the ARRL, the national association for amateur (HAM) radio. See ARRLWeb: ARRL Product Catalog for one of their introductory books that covers theory and operation of HF radios. It won't address marine radio issues specifically but it will provide good general technical background.

·
old guy :)
1,061 Posts
I found Communications At Sea by Mike Harris not bad. Go into a good bookstore and look at it. Skim through, if it what you want (not too elementary, not to advanced), then purchase it.

Communications At Sea

If you want to come help me shovel my deck, I can make you a coffee and you can read it here. A foot last night, beautiful clear blue skys, and about -5C (23F) out right now.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you want to come help me shovel my deck, I can make you a coffee and you can read it here. A foot last night, beautiful clear blue skys, and about -5C (23F) out right now.

Wait a minute, OK I'm back. Had to turn the AC down.:laugher :laugher :laugher Thanks for the invite Rik. While making my reservations I realized I don't have a passport and by the time I get one all the snow will be gone. Sorry Dude, but thanks for the heads up. I will check it out.

David:) :)

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
YOU BASTAGE...Just had to rub that in...
Wait a minute, OK I'm back. Had to turn the AC down.:laugher :laugher :laugher Thanks for the invite Rik. While making my reservations I realized I don't have a passport and by the time I get one all the snow will be gone. Sorry Dude, but thanks for the heads up. I will check it out.

David:) :)

·
Wish I never found SN!
2,116 Posts
I am interested in learning about SSB. I have searched and read all I can but I have trouble understanding what is said. Can anyone recommend a book or web sight that can explain things in simple terms, maybe SSB for dummies? Thanks for your help.

David
Hi David, this but of information was put together by my government and they seem to write it with the lowest common denominator in mind. (dummies) it is interesting,

click here

·
Wish I never found SN!
2,116 Posts
That link is not working right. I have tried to fix it but it wont let me post the full URL.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Hi,

I have a noisy onboard Alder Barbour refrigerator. Gets into my SSB radio on all bands. Any ideas on suppressing this EMI. I've read about toroids and inline filters for the DC supply to the compressor unit. But I'd rather not go thru expensive experimentation if some one else has already 'doneit'. thanks

·
Registered
558 Posts
I think it's fairly common practice to turn the fridge off when using the SSB. Just remember to turn it back on when you are done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts