SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Not so new Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Raymarine ST 4000+, attached to my Catalina 320., This is the grey model not the older black one.

It has been reliable up to this point, but is now "falling out of engagement". Essentially the arm that engages and disengages the AP "falls down".

This happens when it makes a larger correction, turning to port.

Has anyone else seen this on their ST 4000+ unit, and better yet, what was done to re mediate?

If there is an ongoing thread on this I could not find it, and I tried to search. I have read that Raymarine will take the unit back and for $275 plus shipping, refurb all the parts they typically wear out. Not verified however.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I had the same problem. I just took the whole thing apart (wheel drive) and tightened up all the various nuts, bolts. Lots of hex/allen head bolts. Seems to work fine again. The units are getting long in the tooth (5-10 years old). It may be time to just rip it out, put it on eBay to get what you can and get a new autopilot altogether.

I calculated that I could probably sell my old system for $500. A new system would be $1500 less promotions and rebates..plus a days labor to install the whole thing. Net cost is about a boat buck (factoring in labor). Why is it always 1 boat buck?

·
Not so new Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the same problem. I just took the whole thing apart (wheel drive) and tightened up all the various nuts, bolts. Lots of hex/allen head bolts. Seems to work fine again. The units are getting long in the tooth (5-10 years old). It may be time to just rip it out, put it on eBay to get what you can and get a new autopilot altogether.

I calculated that I could probably sell my old system for $500. A new system would be $1500 less promotions and rebates..plus a days labor to install the whole thing. Net cost is about a boat buck (factoring in labor). Why is it always 1 boat buck?
I wonder if there is reference for doing a simple refurb on these units. There have to be thousands of them in existance.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I wonder if there is reference for doing a simple refurb on these units. There have to be thousands of them in existance.

There's really not much to them....I've heard of the belts going and the gears wearing out due to excessive hard use. Plastic inside bits :(

Woudl be a cool use of 3d printing to remake the gear!

·
Not so new Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there a reason you have not called Raymarine? They do have free technical support.
Because the standard answer is send it back we will take care of it. For $$$$. And I would like to understand what others have done to potentially fix it. Likely will do that once I know more.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The earlier black drives have the same problem. The clutch will pop when turning in one direction. This is caused by the roller / cam assembly under the clutch lever getting dirty and lack of lube. Try taking the lever cam assembly apart, clean and a light lube.

·
Sailboat Reboot
652 Posts
Because the standard answer is send it back we will take care of it. For $$$$. And I would like to understand what others have done to potentially fix it. Likely will do that once I know more.
Not my experience with them. They have suggested a number of fixes (including with my autopilot ram.) Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sounds like your belt tension is off. Do not use wd40 or any lubricant including silicon spray. There is a warning to this effect in the owners manual. The belt relies on friction. If you eliminate the friction, you render the unit useless. Raymarine strongly cautions against this. If anything, you can hose it down with water. May be counterintuitive but this cleans the salt and grime but maintains the critical friction.

If you use a lube you may end up pulling the unit apart to clean it.

If its the same gray unit I have, there is a tensioning knob on the back of the ring next to the clutch lever. Loosen the Allen head screw and tighten gradually. You can do this at the dock. You will have the tension right if you engage the clutch and can't turn the wheel without great difficulty and the wheel spins freely with clutch disengaged you have it right.

Good luck.

Also, I believe all raymarine manuals are available as pdf's on their website.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts