SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,862 Posts
Reaction score
Sounds like a great trip. We were down there on the Moorings almost at the same time, Rodney Bay to Grenada. It's been 6 trips for me down there, we obviously like it. Here's some additional notes:

1. Lots more moorings everywhere. Used the anchor once in 10 nights only at Tyrell in Carriacou (you can clear into Grenada there now, nice and easy). This was a big change from our last visit.

2. We also usually avoid St Vincent, but this time on the advice of the charter company we stopped at Keartons (next to Wallilabou). Yes, the local boat boys are pretty aggressive in St Vincent, but with a combination of respect and firmness, it's manageable. Great restaurant there, one of our best Mahi dinners. Made a short day compared to St Lucia direct Bequia.

3. Winds pretty steady 20-25 most days. This made the snorkeling in the Key's less than stellar, but they now have a turtle "area" marked off. I don't know how the turtles know to stay there (maybe they feed em), but they do, and it's pretty easy to find them snorkeling.

4. Caught a nice tuna. Some it made it to the grill. Had the wasabi and soy for the rest.

5. Clearing out of Union required a visit to the airport. I've never been a big fan of Union. It didn't help that the guy in front of me decided to give customs a hard time. One sure way to make "Caribbean slow", slower, is give an official a hard time!

6. It generally felt quiet. Bequia hotspots like the Whaleboner were VERY quiet. African even said it was quiet.

7. Favorite stop was Tyrell in Carriacou. Felt like the old, authentic Caribbean.

I'm sure you'll agree, there's nothing like having 10 days to do 130 nm all on a reach (port tack). Really only needed primaries on one side:) Talk about easy sailing.

· Registered
1,862 Posts
Reaction score
We skipped Salt Whistle this time. There's only one spot in the left hand corner where you can really get out of the roll....but you have to admit that that palm tree lined beach is pretty enticing.

Yes, they are charging park fees at the Tobago Keys. Wasn't much, cannot remember the amount....somehow the EC looks like play money anyway so whatever it was didn't register.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.