SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in attending the St Mary's Governors cup this year and looks like the registration has just open up but seems very late for this to happen now and I only see about 4 to 5 sailboats that have registered.
Does anyone know if this is going to happen this year?

I have been looking forward to this as I have not attended before.
Any input on your experience with the race?

Thanks
Patrick

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Patrick, the deadline for registering is Friday, July 23 at 17:00, so you can wait to see how many register. I'll guess there will be a good turnout this year. The Notice of Race is at this link. https://yachtscoring.com/event_documents/14627/2021_340_StMCSA_Gov_Cup-NOR.pdf

I crewed in it 12-15 times and loved it. The wind typically dies about 13 hours after the start, so you really need to cross the finish line before that happens. You need to use tidal currents to your advantage, try to stay in smoother water when sailing to windward, avoid high bluffs to windward that block your wind, and pay attention to your VMG. Your boat will need a bottom scrub to be competitive. There are some fish traps near the eastern shore of the Bay, at the mouth of the Patuxent that are hard to see at night. Across the Bay there are some Navy bombing targets near the western shore. I believe they're now lighted, but they weren't in the past. If you don't sail too close to shore in that area, and keep your eyes peeled, you should be able to avoid both obstacles.

If you like long races at night, another good one is the Boomerang race.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information Sailormon6. I notice on past Governor's cup races, there was a lot.... of sailboats so I was concern that only 6 or 7 being registered meant that it was not going to happen.
I have grown to like the longer distance races vs regattas / around the bouys.
I will check out the boomerang Race information.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Fun Race, Did it a few times. Pulled the plug once as the wind died near the mouth of the St. Mary's. Didn't want to be late to the party ;-)

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
The Gov Cup is mostly south to the Potomac River, and then into the St. Mary's River to the finish. The Boomerang is different in that it runs south to the Patuxent River and back to Annapolis, but the course zig zags around government marks along the way. The Boomerang forces you to tack or gybe, depending on wind direction, with a greater likelihood of making occasional sail changes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts