SailNet Community banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
21,589 Posts
Seriously?? I would skip everything on Tortola for a couple days around St John.

Jay
Are you willing to give up this location? I know FarCry prefers you don't. :)

Still hoping to get down there this winter. I'm thinking of 2 or 3 days at anchor on St. Johns.

Besides Caneel/Cruz, what are the favs? Secluded is fine. Hiking would be a real plus. A beach shack with a cold beer from an Igloo is great too.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Got back from a charter two weeks ago that started in St. Thomas and ended in Vieques. Picked up a mooring at Christmas Cove the first night and the next morning got an early start and stopped at Buck Island before heading to Culebra. Loved the snorkel at Buck Island. Of course we got there before the tour boats did and had the place to ourselves. Just us and a half dozen Turtles.:)
As far as Chickunuga(?) We used Deet sprays and did not have too much of a problem on the boat. We also stayed four days on Vieques and always wore long pants and shirts in the evening. Seemed to have got out unscathed except for a few bites but, nothing worse from them.

·
Freedom 39
1,156 Posts
Are you willing to give up this location? I know FarCry prefers you don't. :)

Still hoping to get down there this winter. I'm thinking of 2 or 3 days at anchor on St. Johns.

Besides Caneel/Cruz, what are the favs? Secluded is fine. Hiking would be a real plus. A beach shack with a cold beer from an Igloo is great too.
Why would I not want to let people know where Maho is? Or Francis? Or Leinster? Or Lameshure? Or Salt Pond? Or....

When I do briefings for CYOA I tell all of the guests about St John anchorages and hiking trails if they are interested in that too. Book a trip and I will fill you in.;)

·
Registered
175 Posts
We just spent about a month between St John & St Thomas. Stick to St John. We enjoyed bits of St Thomas but I wouldn't bother on a charter.

As per FarCry: Maho, Francis, Leinster, Lameshure, Salt Pond.

Add Waterlemon & Coral Bay. We did Hawkesnest instead of Maho but it's all close enough to dinghy around.

For hiking: Salt Pond/Lameshure were probably best. Ram's Head at Salt Pond is a beautiful view and not too long if it's hot. You can also hike up to the eco-resort on a nice trail. Lameshure was a little too sweaty yesterday. We headed towards the petroglyphs but didn't make it there. Lovely sandy beach in Little Lameshure.

Snorkelling: between Little & Great Lameshure (Yawzki? point). E shore of Great Lameshur. Along the rocks E of Salt Pond. There's a red SCUBA mooring ball on a rock just S of Salt Pond that's shallow enough to snorkel. Also several off of Little St John are close enough to dinghy from Christmas Cove if it's calm (do watch for current/waves but the overhangs in the coral are neat). I found the Dogs & Indians in the BVIs better snorkelling but saw more large sealife on St John (tons of turtles, rays, remoras, squid).

Heard good things about Waterlemon but apparently you need to be on the outside of the little cay for the best snorkelling. Did see lots of turtles & rays there even on the "bad" side.

Coral Bay is a cute little spot but also happens to have a decent grocery store if you're running short on stuff and don't want to return to civilization. Only complaint is that I accidentally bought gluten-free cookies because the box looked so good. Skinny Legs has St John Brewery beer if you need a microbrew infusion to counteract the rum.

There are only 6 mooring balls in Salt Pond. It's worth trying to get in but leave time to get to Lameshur or Coral Bay if you have to.

The only downside I found to St John was that it's mostly less protected than Norman, Cooper, North Sound, etc. Check out the swells and then decide whether you want to be on the south or north shore. Waterlemon then Great Lameshur worked well for us with non-boater guests who get sea sick easily.

·
First String
868 Posts
We have been to St.Thomas 13 or 14 times visiting St.John about the same. We have stayed in Frederiksted and done some great diving. But we never really got into the real island swing of things until we chartered from Road-town Tortola, BVI. We spent 8 days doing what we wanted and sailing the saint Frances.

So, All i'm saying is you should see all that you can as soon as you can. The whole island chain is wonderful, But SABA, The Dog,s the Indians, Big harbor at Jost, the Baths, Bitterend, Spanish town, The Rone, Soggy dollar, We had a blast. Trellis Full moon party with the burning iron figures, the sunsets are fantastic throughout the island. i think we have decided to find a way to go back to the island for a 2 or 3 year adventure. Not sure if we are going to take our boat from South Carolina or pay someone to sail it there for us. sorry to ramble it's just an amazing part of the world .
Go Now.

Cheers,

Beautiful View's

GO NOW

From the dock at SABA Rock at the Better end and Brittish Virgin Gorda.
GO NOW

·
Registered
21,589 Posts
.....i think we have decided to find a way to go back to the island for a 2 or 3 year adventure......
I share your enthusiasm for an extended time in the future. I assume you can get around this by returning to the USVI or heading further down the chain for a bit, but the BVI seem to have fairly restrictive limits on time spent by transients. 30 days max.

My guess is, they don't really want people trying to stay at anchor on a budget. One or two weeks of blowing the whole jackpot and make room for the next. :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
the BVI seem to have fairly restrictive limits on time spent by transients. 30 days max.
Nope. You can go to Road Town and request an extension for up to 6 months near the end of your 30 days. Be prepared to spend half the day sitting in the Immigration Office to do it (Immigration & Labour, not the customs office). You'll also need to temporarily import your boat. That's about $200 and you can do it when you check in or later on at a customs office.

When we did our extensions (Dec 2014):
Officer: "Why do you want to stay longer?"
Us: "It's nice and we'd like to see more of it."
Officer: "Have you imported your boat?"
Us: "Yes, here's the paperwork."
Officer: "How long do you want to stay?"
Us: "End of February"
Officer: "OK, go pay $10 each to the cashier."

We have met one couple who had issues with customs & immigration from going back & forth between the USVI and BVIs but that seems to be a case of a cranky officer, not an actual issue with the rules. There are mixed opinions on getting another 30 days by leaving the BVIs and going to the USVIs for a bit but the consensus seems to be that it usually works but isn't technically legit. I believe the couple with the issue had their 2nd entry restricted to what would've been 30 days from the first entry.

·
Registered
21,589 Posts
Nope. You can go to Road Town and request an extension for up to 6 months near the end of your 30 days. ......
Right, that's what I meant by some exception. Six months is still well less than the few years I was responding to. But spending time along all the leewards to deal with these limitations is not a terrible sentence.

Also, I will bet, if you don't seem to have any money to spend, they will not be as receptive. :) Cynicism.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Also, I will bet, if you don't seem to have any money to spend, they will not be as receptive. :) Cynicism.
Oddly they didn't ask about money. We were in cruisers clothes and disgustingly sweaty from wandering all over town to try to find the office. All they seemed to care about was that we wouldn't work. Or maybe they just wanted our stinky bodies out of their office & that was the quickest way to get rid of us :p We paid for about 1 mooring ball & 1 lunch per month while we were. I think you'd get tired of the constant attempts to separate tourists from their dollars before the 6 months was up anyway.

I'd assumed they wouldn't want to be in the BVIs/USVIs during hurricane season but I suppose people do it. If you're American you could probably get away with alternating between the BVIs and USVIs for 6 months at a time, though personally I'd get the itch to at least go to St Maarten or Puerto Rico.

·
Registered
21,589 Posts
Oddly they didn't ask about money. We were in cruisers clothes and disgustingly sweaty from wandering all over town to try to find the office.
Therefore, you looked like all the other cruisers with money. If you showed up wearing one of those surplus t-shirts with the wrong superbowl winning team, you would probably be denied. :)

.....personally I'd get the itch to at least go to St Maarten or Puerto Rico.
Both are on the absolute must do list for us. Sail down from New England in the Fall, start in the Spanish VI, then to the USVI, then BVI, then St. Martin, then back to New England for hurricane season in the Spring and day sail New England all summer. What could be better.

·
First String
868 Posts
Sail down from Beaufort, SC in the Fall, start in the Spanish VI, then to the USVI, then BVI, then St. Martin, then back to the Low-Country for hurricane season in the Spring and day sail Charleston to Savannah all summer. What could be better.
This is what I'm thinking would work for us. But, I may pay a capt to move my C&C30 MK1 down to St. Thomas and we would sail her back.

Wonder how much that would cost some to move my boat from Beaufort SC to St Thomas USVI?

·
Registered
21,589 Posts
Hey there, you can't quote stuff I didn't say! :mad: :)

The guys I know that pay to have their boats taken from RI to VIs pay approx $12k to $20k, all in. Depends in crew size. Min is 3 IMO. Airfare, hotels on layover for flights, etc.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Hey there, you can't quote stuff I didn't say! :mad: :)

The guys I know that pay to have their boats taken from RI to VIs pay approx $12k to $20k, all in. Depends in crew size. Min is 3 IMO. Airfare, hotels on layover for flights, etc.
Why not put it on a ship in Newport and have it dropped off in St Thomas in about five days for the same price. It will arrive in one piece and without the wear and tear of having a crew sail it to St. Thomas? Just asking.

·
Registered
21,589 Posts
Why not put it on a ship in Newport and have it dropped off in St Thomas in about five days for the same price. It will arrive in one piece and without the wear and tear of having a crew sail it to St. Thomas? Just asking.
That's a good point. I believe the price is the upper end of that estimate, depending on the square footage of the boat.

The hassle is that they only go back and forth a few times, so one of their windows has to work for you. You also need to coordinate getting the boat to them and meeting them to take it back on the other end. Not a huge issue, perhaps, but a crew takes her from slip to slip.

·
First String
868 Posts
Wow!! way over what I was expecting... my wife would have my butt. I will just continue to charter the BVI. At least until we retire and move onto the boat full-time.
I will sail my own boat over there when I can get everything paid off. Looking like 2018 in the fall. I am 6 years into my 10 year plan. still on track.
I look forward to Visiting St. Thomas and St. John with my own boat.
Wow. $20 Thousand Dollars? That's like a major up-fit or a year worth of sailing kitty.
Thanks for the incite.

·
Registered
21,589 Posts
Wow!! way over what I was expecting... my wife would have my butt. I will just continue to charter the BVI. At least until we retire and move onto the boat full-time.
I will sail my own boat over there when I can get everything paid off. Looking like 2018 in the fall. I am 6 years into my 10 year plan. still on track.
I look forward to Visiting St. Thomas and St. John with my own boat.
Wow. $20 Thousand Dollars? That's like a major up-fit or a year worth of sailing kitty.
Thanks for the incite.
We've drawn the same conclusion. Add to that the wear and tear, plus dockage, etc and it makes no sense unless you are spending serious time. At most, we would get a few weeks aboard all winter right now. Bareboating is not only less expensive, but less stressful.

I was tempted by this deal once. A delivery skipper I know well had agreed to take it to BVI for free, in exchange for being able to use it there when we were not around. He would either have had to pay crew to help or offer them some BVI time with him for free. It was tempting. Good deal for him, as he essentially have 5 months of bareboat vacation at nearly no cost. For me, I would have some were and tear and some marina charges. We never pulled the trigger. Bareboating is still less stressful.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts