SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
First String
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got it all wired in today and I need some help.
I have an older model Autohelm St4000 and a new Echo50s Garmin.\I have the blue wire from the control head going to the blue wire on the Garmin I have the red wire to the inst switch and a common ground to the batt.
I have the baud rate set to 4800.
Here goes the dumbest question I have asked.

How do I get it to steer the boat? The st400 when in gauged will respond to the control head. How do I get it to steer a course?

Thanks so much for your help. one other question. IO have a transducer at the top of my mast with App and True Wind / Wind Speed, I have a gauge that I want to use in one location but I want the information to go into the Garmin as well.It will take the information acording to the instuructions I just dont know how to get all of the inputs in the one last remaining brown wire on the garmin?

Thanks again for your help
LT

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have an older Autohelm ST4000 but I am pretty sure it is not NMEA 0183 compatible. Maybe, but I'm pretty sure it is not.
If you do get this working that would be very cool. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I did not know that, I will have to dig out my manual and have a look. That would be awesome to have it hooked up to my plotter.:)

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
You do have to set a waypoint in the GPS before setting the autopilot to the steer to waypoint mode, otherwise the AP just displays dashed lines. You must have a course set on the GPS for the AP to receive that course. That's assuming you are wired up right.

·
First String
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You do have to set a waypoint in the GPS before setting the autopilot to the steer to waypoint mode, otherwise the AP just displays dashed lines. You must have a course set on the GPS for the AP to receive that course. That's assuming you are wired up right.
Yea I have to take a second look at the wiring. Blue to Blue in not correct.
Thanks Maybe I will get it?

·
Registered
217 Posts
According to the ST4000 manual (Google is your friend),

"Push +10 and -10 degree keys together to select Track Control' from Auto.
Push again to return to automatic steering"

so there's no Track button, but it does have the capability.

On my previous boat I used a Raymarine ST4000 (?) Wheelpilot with a Garmin GPS180, and StandardHorizon NMEA wind instrument, no problems and it supported both Track and Wind modes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.