SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

One of None
Hunter 34
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After weeks and weeks of searching I finally found 1/16th by 3/4 roll pins for the autopilot clutch lever. It's hard to believe a dollar part keeps this whole thing out of commission, (thank you Napa)
It's all back together and it actually works!

So I have 30 plus year old electronics that actually work. Now I have to learn how to use them. I'm slowly getting a grasp on using the Garmin chartplotter.
I'll download the operations manual for the raymarine st4000 autohelm but in the meantime; I turned on the switch and it made a whining noise then I moved the controller box and it started reading out working and even the wired remote control works. ( Guessing loose wires behind the panel) The stepper motor actually moves the wheel forward and back like it's supposed to.

I'm not at Sea so I don't know what to do from there, although I'm guessing the flux compass is reading out the degrees from North where I sit?

Please go easy on me I already have a headache! 馃樀馃敤

Registered
I have a similar vintage Autohelm unit. Still works fine. If only using it to maintain a compass course, it's pretty easy to use. Should be 6 buttons on the controller, manual mode and auto mode, and 2 each for 1 degree and 10 degree course changes (port and starboard). Unit will be in manual mode when you first power it up. To switch to auto, steer to the course you want, move the lever on the wheel pilot to engage the drive, and the push the auto mode button on the controller. That's it.

One of None
Hunter 34
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jims, that's exactly what it does and I'm happy with that alone! But the Garmin 541, (I'm assuming) is/was connected and it can/could actually steer a course?

Woke up with the headache, not a good day sigh馃樀

Registered
Not sure if Raymarine units of our vintage could be connected to a GPS to allow steering to a waypoint. I have no interest in being able to do that, so never explored that option. Steering to a compass course is all I need.

One of None
Hunter 34
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had an st3000 on my Oday 30 it would keep me in the river channel long enough to raise and lower the main sail. The st4000 on this boat should certainly come in handy since I don't have thousands of dollars to drop on all kinds of new components gear and electronics.

Registered
FWIW there are two ST4000s, the original Mk1 with black drive and controller (that's what I have) and the newer Mk2 with gray drive and controller. The Mk1 black drive seems to be more robust due to having bronze gears vs the plastic ones in the Mk2.

The Mk1 has a NMEA 0183 interface while the newer Mk2 had a Seatalk interface. So interfacing a GPS may be possible with each, though probably easier with the Mk2..

One of None
Hunter 34
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looky look what I found
Blue Rectangle Sky Font Flooring

And yes nema 183
Font Material property Paper Paper product Document

Registered
Always good to have the directions. I find myself referring to them shortly after my first screw up. :) My OEM does a great job of fleet support. They very artfully answer my question and tell me exactly where I could have found it myself, in exactly which book aboard. Only once, so far, have I shown them that the document excludes the specific issue.

You may need a bit of translation to get a Garmin plotter to talk over a Raymarine Seatalk network (for track), or perhaps the prior owner did so already.

One of None
Hunter 34
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes the Garmin 541 has 183 and 2000 nema interface pretty amazed that stuff so old can still be useful
Holding a course even for a few minutes is really great help because it's so much easier to single hand and move about the boat

1 - 11 of 11 Posts