SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
I have a similar vintage Autohelm unit. Still works fine. If only using it to maintain a compass course, it's pretty easy to use. Should be 6 buttons on the controller, manual mode and auto mode, and 2 each for 1 degree and 10 degree course changes (port and starboard). Unit will be in manual mode when you first power it up. To switch to auto, steer to the course you want, move the lever on the wheel pilot to engage the drive, and the push the auto mode button on the controller. That's it.

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Not sure if Raymarine units of our vintage could be connected to a GPS to allow steering to a waypoint. I have no interest in being able to do that, so never explored that option. Steering to a compass course is all I need.

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
FWIW there are two ST4000s, the original Mk1 with black drive and controller (that's what I have) and the newer Mk2 with gray drive and controller. The Mk1 black drive seems to be more robust due to having bronze gears vs the plastic ones in the Mk2.

The Mk1 has a NMEA 0183 interface while the newer Mk2 had a Seatalk interface. So interfacing a GPS may be possible with each, though probably easier with the Mk2..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts