SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small snake I use for clearing up clogs.
Today I used it to clean the AC evaporator coil where the salt water goes thru.
Its maybe only 1/4" diameter, but it has a brush on both ends, I am looking for one about 3' long. the one we have now is steel, and rusting quite badly.
Any leads are appreciated

·
Registered
656 Posts
For that use, a light duty stainless steel snake like this one at "http://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Snake-Drain-Millipede-Cleaning/dp/B008ZUNPEA#productDetails" might work for you. Don't use it for heavy duty clogs.

Regards,

Tom

·
Master Mariner
9,064 Posts
Cleaning refer coils and general salt water lines can be easily accomplished by using muriatic acid. As it is quite dangerous, On-Off Hull and Bottom Cleaner does nearly as well, much more safely. Route the exhaust hose into the same plastic bucket as the pick up and run the a/c circulation pump (or any pump) for a few minutes once a year and your a/c lines will be clean and work very efficiently. I don't think your snake or a brush will actually remove all the scale on the inside of the coils.

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cleaning refer coils and general salt water lines can be easily accomplished by using muriatic acid. As it is quite dangerous, On-Off Hull and Bottom Cleaner does nearly as well, much more safely. Route the exhaust hose into the same plastic bucket as the pick up and run the a/c circulation pump (or any pump) for a few minutes once a year and your a/c lines will be clean and work very efficiently. I don't think your snake or a brush will actually remove all the scale on the inside of the coils.
In this situation I believe it was just mud. Once I ran the flexi wire with a brush on it, and reversed the flow, it worked great, and just had dirty water come out. I had thought about a mild acid, maybe even vinegar, but had not a great way to get it thru, other then a funnel on a hose. the pump is mounted 20' away in the engine bilge.

I dont think a snake for a sink would work. the end is too large. I am not sure what this tool is the old owner left on the yacht, but its nearly perfect for the job. Its just flexible wire, with bristles on the ends.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts