SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one carry there or know anything about small portable TIG welding equipment?

I have seen a v-small TIG welder, but not sure where to find something like it or whether they are practical on boat?

·
Swansea, MA
98 Posts
Matt,

You can try:

Lincoln Electric

The problem with a Tig unit (besides the power required for plug in units) is that you need to also have the bottle of argon. I would actually suggest a small mig unit that can use shielded wire. But, I have not seen shielded 308 wire in my travels, but it might be available.

I have large Tig and Mig units and find it easier to bring the parts home. (220v, bottles, and just the weight of my equipment).

Best regards,

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I like the small Miller units the best and the Aluminium argon bottle is used buy most people who have to carry them in and out a lot ;)

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks, I had a look at the brands suggested, but the look a bit large, esp compared to the one I saw.

Does anyone carry small stainless welding equipment on their boat?

·
Well-wisher
75 Posts
I own a Lincoln Electric 175 TIG unit and they are huge. Some of the new inverter based gear is smaller, but I can't think of a single reason to travel with a welder, unless that's your profession.

In truth, I dropped $1400 on my TIG and can't imagine a larger waste of cash. I've done some fun projects, but a MIG at half the price would have been a better purchase.

If you really needed something, a little portable brazing outfit would probably do you better.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
TIG vs MIG

I own a Lincoln Electric 175 TIG unit and they are huge. Some of the new inverter based gear is smaller, but I can't think of a single reason to travel with a welder, unless that's your profession.

In truth, I dropped $1400 on my TIG and can't imagine a larger waste of cash. I've done some fun projects, but a MIG at half the price would have been a better purchase.

If you really needed something, a little portable brazing outfit would probably do you better.
A few years ago I saw a small TIG unit in a SS welders shop. The unit was itself SS and about 5 inches x 5 inches and about 18 inches long and easily portable.

I have several small welding jobs, which would cost easily more than the cost of the welding equipment.

A long time ago I worked as a welder's assistant for a few months, and did a bit of welding, but not SS. I might do a tech course on SS welding. Someone else working on a boat (now left - circumnavigated then sold the boat) did this and did all there own welding at a fraction of the cost it would have been otherwise.

As I understand MIG welding SS causes a lot of splatter and smoke which makes it hard to see the weld, so the results tend to be not as good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts