SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having the deck painted on my 1973 Midship 25. All the stanchions will be removed, along with the 35 year old marine plywood backing plates underneath the deck.

The paint shop is planning to replace the wood backing plates with new wooden ones. Is it worth the extra time and expense to have stainless steel plates fabricated?

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
IMHO, you're better off with fiberglass backing plates. :) Stainless steel ones are fairly expensive, and a PITA to machine.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
SS is likely heavier than the ply as well. Unless you need the extra space below decks (????!), you're dealing with a 35 year-old boat that probably doesn't warrant the extra expense. New sails would be a better investment in "boat enjoyment units".

·
Registered
312 Posts
I dont know what boat you have but I got SS backing plates from catalina direct and they were not that expensive.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Yeah, but the OP doesn't have a CATALINA... so I doubt he has that as an option....
I dont know what boat you have but I got SS backing plates from catalina direct and they were not that expensive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts