SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I currently have an auto inflatable that does not include a sailing harness as well as a Type I PDF jacket (Not the over the head style life vest), which goes on when the weather gets bad!

My thought would be to add a stand-alone harness as I could use it with both the inflatable, the jacket or stand-alone.

What are you thoughts about a stand alone harness vs an inflatable with a harness built in for offshore sailing?

Thanks,

Justin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have both but I only use the built in harness style PFD. I don't really know why I do other than if you go over and are being dragged you could unclip and still have the PFD on. Near shore this has some worth but way offshore I don't think it would help. Stay on the boat at all coasts.

Brad
Lancer 36
It makes sense to keep them as separates based on your post. If you need to lose the harness, the pfd is still on. If being dragged, the tension on the tether might be to much to actually unclip. I guess that is why I found a harness web cutting tool that can clip onto the harness in the event you need to cut it to get out if tangled up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts