SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

stand alone harness or Inflatable with Harness

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  GeorgeB 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I currently have an auto inflatable that does not include a sailing harness as well as a Type I PDF jacket (Not the over the head style life vest), which goes on when the weather gets bad!

My thought would be to add a stand-alone harness as I could use it with both the inflatable, the jacket or stand-alone.

What are you thoughts about a stand alone harness vs an inflatable with a harness built in for offshore sailing?

Thanks,

Justin

#2 ·
I have both but I only use the built in harness style PFD. I don't really know why I do other than if you go over and are being dragged you could unclip and still have the PFD on. Near shore this has some worth but way offshore I don't think it would help. Stay on the boat at all coasts.

Brad
Lancer 36

#3 ·
It makes sense to keep them as separates based on your post. If you need to lose the harness, the pfd is still on. If being dragged, the tension on the tether might be to much to actually unclip. I guess that is why I found a harness web cutting tool that can clip onto the harness in the event you need to cut it to get out if tangled up.

#4 ·
Where does the chest strap go?

1. High under the arms for taking impact. Down on the ribs is asking for a broken rib or back.

2. On the waist, like a kayaking vest, to hold it down in the water. Any higher and you'll need a leg or crotch strap as a patch, though it still won't ride right since it is simply too high. It'll puff up under the chin, making swimming or self rescue impossible.

I'm even more amused by testing that shows that some of the inflatables block the quick-release on the tether when inflated. Others block the handy knife pouch when inflated. Apparently no actual in-house testing is required of our impoverished industry. Personally, I feel like a year in prison would work for the team that cannot bother to pool test the PFD with a tether before marketing it.

And all of these are prone to be worn loose over the foul weather gear--for comfort--which explains why they are prone to coming off. Remember to wear them properly.

I prefer them separate, as it seem none successfully serve both masters. And I can't nap in an inflatable, which I can with a harness.

#6 ·
Integral or separate harness is a personal thing. I like the convenience of the integral - less to take on and off when nature calls and it is much quicker when you need to get dressed in a hurry. The D-ring on the separate harness tends to get buried under the webbing of the inflatable (I've done it both ways). I also imagine that the tether shackle would get buried a little deeper if the vest was inflated. I always figured if I needed to be clipped in, I'd probably want some sort of extra floatation in case I had to disconnect from the boat. Again, a personal choice. I have an inflatable with harness that I've worn crossing several oceans and have grown quite fond of. It's dirty, has 5200 globs on it and Mrs B wants me to get a nice fancy replacement but it has become a part of me and I can't get rid of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.