SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,409 Posts
Reaction score
I assume you are sailing out of Northeast MD in the channel on west side of Elk Neck. The power boats are going to keep on course and on plane down the middle of a rather narrow channel and the water gets shallow very fast on either side of that channel.

So either get used to jumping wakes or avoid the area during holiday weekends.

The east side of Elk Neck is just as crowded with power boats on holiday weekends but more room with deeper water.

Past Turkey Point you have more options, more space, better water depth, but on the west side of Elk Neck it is what it is.

Reactions: L124C

· Registered
1,409 Posts
Reaction score
I prefer the power boats to maintain course and speed, I will make adjustments to jump their wake at about 45 deg on the bow.

Changing their course makes it harder for me to set up for jumping the wake, and coming off plane just increases the wake.

When it is multiple power boats, I just try my best to not take the turbulent confused breaking waves on the beam.

Get all legal if you want and can prove the injuries that day were caused by the intentional action or inaction of a particular boat operator, but I would rather go sailing than spend my time in a lawyers office or in court.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.