SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
even if you do have the right away you cant take the ass away from some people and theyll just do whatever so usually just take the high road and let it be and maneuver to avoid all contact...

its not racing so rather just enjoy the scenery if you will

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
that aint gonna happen bud, unless there is a collision involved....sorry to say

honestly it wont be worth your time and effort

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
My wife and I have this disscussion everythime we're out and we see "rule breakers". :eek:. My favorite analogy is the kids around the high school. Those young people will arrogantly step right out in front of you and look you in the eye while your slamming on your brakes with that "you have to stop for me" look on their face. Problem is stupid young person, is that when someone doesn't stop and you're dead, what good did some rule do you?

All the rules of the road and all the woulda's, shoulda's and coulda's in the world don't mean beans if you don't do everything in your power to avoid any collision or danger.

You did good and you did correct! Keep doing it... forever. Sorry about your mate's bump.

Dave
this in bold is what overrides everything else...if you dont think this is the most important rule then you havent learned it through experience...

any good captain, teacher, sailor should abide by this...

this isnt bouy racing...so just avoid collisions at all costs...simple

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
I prefer the power boats to maintain course and speed, I will make adjustments to jump their wake at about 45 deg on the bow.

Changing their course makes it harder for me to set up for jumping the wake, and coming off plane just increases the wake.

When it is multiple power boats, I just try my best to not take the turbulent confused breaking waves on the beam.

Get all legal if you want and can prove the injuries that day were caused by the intentional action or inaction of a particular boat operator, but I would rather go sailing than spend my time in a lawyers office or in court.
jumping and crossing wakes and close proximity to big boats and containers was what we dealt with all day long on the san joaquin river delta in northern california...

some sailors would get in real trouble sometimes tacking each side and getting stuck or in irons or completelty dunked by water...but honestly you just become a better sailor...

now those damn water maggots(jet skiers) thats something completely different...id love nothing more than getting those suckers fined big time! :D

anywhoo there is just no way in hell you are going to get any sort of action to help you, now if someone is trying to run you over...or kill you or t bone you then yeah

but its going to be a hard fight

and like the above post there is a reason the bumper sticker

"id rather be sailing" was created...

peace

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
a quick search on youtube will show equal amounts of idiots launching sailboats...

hardly a way to make a point,

courtesy out on the water depends on the person or brains behind the helm...

I also know plenty of sailors who DONT know the rules well and simply beleive they have right of way all the time...

and are snobby with a chip on their shoulder too...

so it cuts both ways

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
yup

however how a boat is tied up wouldnt necessarily tell you much about how sailor act on the water

we all know many marina queens that look perfect and then you see them out there with the fenders out hanging and ugly as hell sail shape...

again just sayin

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
jajaja yeah I know...just love it when you see some guy hammering it with fenders a blaze!

peace

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.