SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
5,936 Posts
Reaction score
Only once have I had a power boat throttle down to pass me. He came down well before he got to me and throttled up well past me. I got on the radio and thanked him.

Depending on the type of boat the wake may be worse if they come off of plane. But, it's a big bay. Your power boats probably had plenty of room to maneuver and avoid your boat.

· Premium Member
5,936 Posts
Reaction score
I disagree. If you have time to do it and can do it safely, I'd take the picture and send it to the CG. You'd have to make sure you get a registration number in the pic.

In the U.S. we're all responsible for our wake. I don't care that it costs them to come off plane if it means not damaging my boat or passengers.

· Premium Member
5,936 Posts
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what kind of sailboat anyone has or the location. You are responsible for any damage the wake of your boat causes. Delta said that his companion "took a header into the companionway."

10. What are the regulations concerning wake effects, wake damage, and responsibility? Regarding one's wake, vessels over 1600 Gross Tons (GT) are specifically required by Title 33 CFR 164.11 to set the vessel's speed with consideration for...the damage that might be caused by the vessel's wake. Further, there may be State or local laws which specifically address "wake" for the waters in question.

While vessels under 1600 GT are not specifically required to manage their speed in regards to wake, they are still required to operate in a prudent matter which does not endanger life, limb, or property (46 USC 2302). Nor do the Navigation Rules exonerate any vessel from the consequences of neglect (Rule 2), which, among other things, could be unsafe speeds (Rule 6), improper lookout (Rule 5), or completely ignoring your responsibilities as prescribed by the Navigation Rules.

· Premium Member
5,936 Posts
Reaction score
Boating where there are no posted wake restrictions doesn't mean you aren't responsible for your wake.

· Premium Member
5,936 Posts
Reaction score
I once heard a call to the CG by a sailboat reporting a power boat. They asked if he got the registration number and he had but I had no idea what the results were after the call was over.

· Premium Member
5,936 Posts
Reaction score
Christian,

You're right. And the nav rules say to break the rules to avoid collision. But it's still a good discussion about wake responsibility especially since you don't have to have had a collision or even come close for someone's wake to do damage to your boat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.