SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Standard Horizon DS-1 depth sounder that appears to have water in the display and when I turn it on it makes an alarm sound, but doesn't display anything.

Does anyone have an old Standard Horizon DS-1 that works and would be willing to sell? Or any recommendations for a replacement that uses the same through hull transducer?

Thanks

·
19,488 Posts
New display modules are still available, around $50-60 IIRC from Signet. But it sounds like you have a moisture issue. I'd remove it and open it up, let it dry out and have a look around. Once it's dry and there's no obvious issues ('burnt' smell, corrosion, etc) try it again.

When the displays fail they usually bleed out 'black' obscuring the characters.

We have the same stuff on our boat.. nearly indestructable. Ebay and Craigslists are another venue for replacement.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is the best way to open it up? I couldn't figure it out yesterday when I was working on it.

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
Is it a 200khz Airmet transducer? You can probably rewire it to work with other depth finders. Their webpage has wiring pinouts for every transducer that they've made, though sometimes you need to dig around to find them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts