SailNet Community banner

Which direction do you mount your turnbuckles?

• Right hand stud down (toward chainplate)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Turnbuckle.... What's that?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Noah's Bosun
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re-doing the standing rig, and realized I don't know if there is a standard direction to mount turnbuckles. As all my wires are eye to eye, I have the option of installing them with the right hand thread stud either up, or down.

I have always mounted them with the right hand thread stud at the top of the turnbuckle... Easy to remember (for an ol' guy with CRS) which way to tighten (or loosen) as I am tightening the wire, not the chainplate.

Curious as to whether there is a "standard". I have found them set up both ways (sometimes on the same boat) and wondering what everyone else does.

Not an important issue... Waiting for UPS to arrive with the last halyard so we can step the stick this afternoon.

·
S/V Calypso
246 Posts
I try to stick with "righty tighty, lefty loosey" where threads are concerned, I guess that's right hand up ?
That would be my suggestion. Just be sure to mount them all the same way (unlike my boat's PO).

-Chris

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Sounds right to me. Now if you were asking about placement of Matthew Walker Knots, I could have a definitive opinion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts