SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering replacing the badly weathered teak grab rails on my deck with starboard ones. The current ones are leaking(I swear every time I turn around something else is leaking). I am wondering if anyone has any pictures of 30ish foot boats with non-wood rails so I can see how they look? Also is there a good place to get them prefabbed cheaper than having the plastic guy make me some?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
it would not take much to remove and sand the ones you have, the rebed them with butyl tape. if you take them off the boat it wont take much to copy them new wood if you wanted new wood. i would go with stainless over starboard

·
Registered
407 Posts
Starboard is not a structural material and will break easily when used as a grabrail. Refurbishing and rebedding the teak would solve the leaking. Stainless would be my way to to go for aesthetics and structure.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
"Starboard is not a structural material...it will break easily",- I think this depends on how it's used. Certainly it is a structural material. Grab a span of the length you intend to use and attempt to break it. Yes, it is not as resiliant as wood, but it can function well as a grab rail as it has on my vessel for fifteen years. Don't expect to have it function well with delicate or long spans. PatrickRea is right that it "can" break, but not that it "will break",- just be wise with your application. Also, when bedding starboard, don't rely on the seal formed by anything adhering to the starboard. My grab rails and other teak replaced trim are black starboard. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

·
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never really considered stainless I will have to look into that. Though I was looking at the plastic types because they don't require maintenance beyond cleaning. Steel would be yet another thing to polish. The ones that are on there are in pretty bad shape and if I took them off and sanded them down to the good wood I don't think there would be enough left to clean food out of your teeth. All the exterior wood is pretty weathered. Some of it is in good enough shape that I could sand it down to where its good but I am looking for something that will not require as much upkeep. I can handle polishing a bit more steel but I don't really like the mess that the wood makes.

I was talking with the guy who did my plexi windows and he can use my old parts as a template to make replacements in starboard or some other type of plastic.

I am a bit concerned with how it will look though as if I get it in white the boat will lose some of the lines that give it character. If I get the parts in a brown or tan color it may look kind of cheesy especially up close. So I was kind of hoping someone would have some pictures that had it done.

I googled for the steel rails and they would look pretty sharp. None of the places had any prices though so I am thinking they are pretty spendy items. My current rails are 102" long and have 10 loops. I could cope with 96" as that is the biggest most seem to make before going custom.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I replaced my teak grabrails with "poly's". My boat did lose quite a bit of its aesthetic appeal. The "effect" is enhanced due to the small size of my ~18' sailboat Jay :(

·
Registered
928 Posts
I made these out of fake decking material a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Starboard is polyethylene.
1) It will turn yellow in time when exposed to the sun.
and
2)It's slippery which raises the question of grip.

What I do is coat all my bare wood with epoxy to eliminate
moisture swelling, then varnish. That adds years between need
to refinish.

Dick

·
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went with the steel grab rails. I found some eliptical ones that were in good shape in a consignment shop for $25. I don't think it looks nearly as good as the wood rails that were longer but budgets being what they are...

I also had grab rails on the inside that were bolted all the way through so those had to come off as well leaving some holes in the headliner. So now I am figuring out a way to clean up that. But I will make a different post about that. I just wanted to put a pic of the results so if anyone else wants to know what steel grab rails look like they will know.

·
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
does not look bad at all. i like the way they flow and are bent, should be easier to not stub a toe on.
I had exactly the same though when I saw them. They had some others that were more rounded and stubby on the ends but chose these so my toes would glance off rather than stop. :)

·
Registered
928 Posts
Thanks

It's what ever Home Depot sells. I will check if it has a brand name, it's supposed to look like red wood.

Red mahogany stain and sealer was used after sanding using the wipe on, wipe off style then clear coated.

I'm planning on toe rails next.

Your rails look nice; I haven't yet seen a fake decking product that looked that good. Which brand of fake decking did you use?

·
1968 Pearson Wanderer 30
212 Posts
Starboard is not a structural material and will break easily when used as a grabrail.
I think that depends on which particular StarBoard product you use. There is a higher-density, solid sheet product, and then there is a lighter product that has more of a "foam" core with solid exterior.

Everywhere I've seen it, it is advertised as being used to make, among other various items, grab rails and handles.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Somewhat of an old thread that I missed. But FWIW I had my old teak rails replaced with ss by White Water Marine in Port Huron MI. They matched the existing curve and hole pattern perfectly. I think it was less than 500 for the pair.
Gave the boat a different look, but I like it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Of course black starboard will not yellow....

.....15 yr old black starboard rails.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

·
1968 Pearson Wanderer 30
212 Posts
Of course black starboard will not yellow....
Question for ya, as I am seriously considering replacing my seriously weathered wooden grab rails with StarBoard ones:

What did you bed those with? All of my grab rails leak a little bit when it rains - I get drips coming through the screw holes. I know I can bed the wooden ones with Sikaflex and it would be totally waterproof for years, but from what I have read about StarBoard, most adhesives won't stick to it too well. So I'm wondering whether Sikaflex, which seems to be the miracle goop, would still work as a weatherproof sealant with StarBoard?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts