SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Barquito
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about making a little assembly that would mount in the cockpit that would hold my removable shifter handle. I want it to be white plastic. Starboard seemed like an obvious choice. But, being the cheapskate that I am, I wondered if I could just grab a white cutting board out of the kitchen and chop it up. The starboard would cost twice as much as a new plastic cutting board, but, I would use so little material, it wouldn't make much difference. So, to my question: Would the plastic cutting board degrade significantly enough in the sun that it would be a bad choice? Material scientists and cheapskates please chime in (especially cheapskate material scientists).

·
Registered
1,556 Posts

·
Sailor
930 Posts
I agree with Tim. It is very easy and cheap to buy starboard scraps from a cabinet maker on eBay. You will be glad you did.

Tod

·
Registered
830 Posts
Barq;
Ya might look at home store, white plastic "boards" or panels. I use a lot of it in remodeling and it is great where super strength isn't needed. I have a pile of 1/2" scraps left that will be perfect for instrument panels, access hole covers, etc.
I might even make a dorado 'box' from it. Cockpit tables, hatch boards and small cabinets are not out of the equation, either.
The better, named product is somewhat better quality than "no-name" stuff at box stores, but for non-structural, should be OK. Use the special glue and ya can machine, saw, rout and sand just fine. :D
HTH,
Paul

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am a plastic fabricator and have some 1/4" black King Starboard material drops. If this thickness would work for you I can send some to you for shipping cost. If you want to get real fancy and try your hand at welding I can include some King Starboard welding rod as well ;)

·
Registered
23,737 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me how destructive sunshine can be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts