SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently moved from Santa Fe to Stamford. We have leased a beautiful house on the water of Stamford Harbor (West Side). We are across from the Stamford Yacht Club.

I have discovered what appears to be a Stars and Stripes Twelve Meter on the hard directly across from me in a marina. It is on a trailer that does not allow a look at the keel.

Does anyone know what this boat is? Inquiring minds wish to know.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Last I read one of the 12m is in San Diego, one is in St Maarten, one is in the Mediterranean, so, that leaves only one unaccounted for

Find out if the sail # is US53, if so, she was the only S&S that was never raced, she was a rebuilt/redesign of Spirit of America, but was passed over for US55

·
Crazy Woman Boat Driver
840 Posts
Last I knew of her she was in St Martainn two years ago. I crewed and capt her during a race (and won of course). Her history was she sank and was resurrected for charter service in St Martian along with 7 other American Cups boats. Stars and Strips mast was cut down 6 or 7 feet from the original. Some of that era America boats where put into charter service in San Diego and other ports of call for the tourist trade. I believe there is a mock-up of the boat where you are talking about at that location. The story I heard they used it to fine tune the boat before it was originally built. It might be that one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts