SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,544 Posts
Are you heading to the Cape Cod Canal Centennial?

Keep us posted on your ports of call.

I will be sailing from 3rd beach to Hadley, then bopping around the 'Vineyard, then Cuttyhunk in two weeks. I'll have 8 other boats joining me.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had non-sailing friends come down and stay on the boat Saturday into late Sunday so we didn't head out until this morning. Came out of Wesport into Southerly wind on our nose and some foul Buzzards Bay chop. My first mate pulled out her seasickness meds and laid on deck while I motor sailed out far enough to fall off and head over to Quick Hole. I have to give her a lot of credit because I offered to go back and she refused. It was rough and I was a little queezy myself. Just flew the genoa as it was pretty windy and we made way at close to five knots. The chop wasn't quite as bad hitting us aft and subsided some as we got closer to the Elizabeth Islands.

As we approached Quicks Hole the winds really picked up and I thought we could make it through under just sail but again it was on our nose and I had to turn on the engine. Once through we fell off and had a broad reach/run up Vinyard Sound. Raised the Main (reefed) and we were still doing 5 1/2 knots. When we rounded West Chop turning into the wind we picked up a knot or more of speed but really heeled with the gusts. It was exciting. Didn't have any trouble finding the entrance to Oaks Buffs and picked up a public mooring. Ate all the left overs in our cooler, a bottle of wine and early to bed. Will explore the island tomorrow. Wind is still howling out there :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts