SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
This weekend I ran into a problem with my starter battery that has me stumped, and I was wondering if anyone could offer a diagnosis.

I have a starter and a house bank on my sailboat with a 1-2-all battery selector switch. I put the switch on the starter battery (2) and got juice to my instrument panel, but when I hit the starter button the whole system lost power. My volt meter at the breaker box dropped to zero, but if I flipped the selector switch to 1 and then back to 2, power was restored but would die again when I attempted to start. I was able to get my engine to crank and run via my house bank, but this isn't a viable long-term solution.

I couldn't identify anything physically wrong with my connection, and the starter battery shows voltage in the 13+ range but just won't crank. This is the first time it's happened - any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You cracked the case!

Thanks everyone for the advice. It turns out the cable from the battery into the selector switch had shrugged its bolt and nearly shaken off its post. I tightened it back down and she started right up. Like most problems on this boat, I just had to pick a line (wire, hose, rope) and follow it far enough through the places boat builders usually try to keep hidden.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.