SailNet Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Universal M-18 engine starts reliably every time. The recent problem is the starter motor itself.
The starter motor was replaced with a rebuilt one by a reliable boatyard 2 years ago. In the intervening time, the engine has been started no more than 200 times (part-time use), probably closer to 100. When I started the engine after a long winter (7 months) away, it started easily. Recently the starter motor starts to start and then stops. A second push on the button starts the motor as usual. Other than the momentary feeling of panic, is this a problem I should look at? Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Wandering Star... I will check them post haste.... it might be that the first start attempt "jiggles" something (heaven knows what) to make the second start work properly.
Thank you for your advice!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Stu... I am a complete novice here, so when you say "the fuse in the wire between the key switch and the starter solenoid", do you mean the fuse is blown, partially blown, weak? Do all starters have this fuse?
Anyway, thanks again.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The terminals on the starter battery look fine. In addition, the problem is not manifesting itself anymore. Maybe it only wants to do it when I am actually out at sea and ready to panic with any little glitch?
Thank you all for your help. I will keep checking things per your advice.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I inspected it without taking the connectors off. It is in its own little box and looked very clean, indeed. But now that you mention it, I will loosen the connectors and jiggle them around to see if there is any corrosion in there. Thanks again!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.