SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is my starter motor playing up or my start battery dying?

1) My starter was reconditioned about 2 years ago.

2) My battery is 90 amp starter battery approaching 3 years old. It gets a trickle charge from my solar panel and the Battman volt meter reads 12.7, when I get on board before starting the boat. The solar panel was installed about 12 months ago, until then the battery only got a charge under motoring.

Symptom:

Unpredictable cranking strength. For the last 6 weeks, normal strength cranking to barely turning. Yesterday...when the engine was warm after about 15 minutes running, I turned it off and only got a click of the solenoid, when I tried an almost immediate restart. Hit the button again and she JUST turned over enough to start. Ten minutes later I tried the cycle again and it started perfectly.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks in advance.

GF

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Anything intermittent like that is an electrical connection going south.

Check the main engine ground first, it might look good, but pull hard on it, and remove it and clean it.

Check the fuse between the start button and the starter solenoid.

Check all connections, especially in the wiring harness.

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
..What Stu says.. :)

It could also be burned-out contacts on the solenoid itself... but it does sound like an engine ground/battery connections issue to me.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Check the temperature of the starter when it works vice when it doesn't work if it is hot when not working lily starter going out if no signifant difference then like the others said check all the grounds

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all!

Went to the boat armed with your advice. Pos start battery terminal loose so cleaned and tightened. Tightened a few other connections but in general others seemed solid.

Back of instrument panel badly corroded: cleaned and re connected start button.

So far 6 out of 6 starts all good. Fingers crossed it continues that way! Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts